none
windows cannot find c:\windows\\system32\\slui.exe. make sure you typed the name correctly, and then try again. RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I am trying to activate windows ThinPC, after i click 'change product key' link to activate, this error pops up.

Why slui.exe file is missing and where can i get that file from?

Please guide me,

Thanks,

Wednesday, December 28, 2011 6:03 PM

Answers

• The evaluation media is hard coded with a 90 day timebomb.  You cannot apply a Volume License key to the eval media.  SLUI.EXE is removed on purpose from this media.  Supplying a copy of the binary will not help.  You must obtain Volume License media through Software Assurance.

Terry Warwick, Microsoft

Friday, December 30, 2011 5:14 AM

All replies

• This question should probably be asked in a different forum, but I will try to help. First of all, are you using an Evaluation or Volume License copy of Windows ThinPC? 

Terry Warwick, Microsoft

Thursday, December 29, 2011 5:12 AM
  • Good morning Terry,

I am using evaluation copy and have volume license key but evaluation media was downloaded from software assurance on licensing.microsoft.com.

I can't even go to the window to enter the product key. It keep shows the error message that

'windows cannot find 'c:\windows\\system32\\slui.exe'. Make sure you typed the name correctly, and then try again.'

Please hep.

Thank you,

• Edited by Bounced_1987 Thursday, December 29, 2011 4:42 PM
    Thursday, December 29, 2011 2:48 PM
  • I believe, you need to contact software assurance for assistance with Thin PC.

-Sean

www.sjjmicro.com / www.seanliming.com / www.annabooks.com, Book Author - Pro Guide to WES 7, XP Embedded Advanced, Pro Guide to POS for .NET
    Thursday, December 29, 2011 5:54 PM
  • The evaluation media is hard coded with a 90 day timebomb.  You cannot apply a Volume License key to the eval media.  SLUI.EXE is removed on purpose from this media.  Supplying a copy of the binary will not help.  You must obtain Volume License media through Software Assurance.

Terry Warwick, Microsoft

Friday, December 30, 2011 5:14 AM
  • Hi Terry,

I worked with bounced.

First of all thank you for trying to help even though this was mistakenly posted on the wrong forum. I have told him to move it to the Windows 7 forum. :)

Anywho, I did obtain the ISO from SA link when I logged in to our account in Licensing.microsoft.com. I have successfully deployed it to about 7 pcs and they have no SLUI problem except this last one. Maybe we just need to reinstall it and see how it goes.

Again, appreciate the help.

Tuesday, January 3, 2012 5:35 PM
  • Start the command line with Administrator privilegies and run the following command:

slmgr.vbs /ipk <KEY>

e.g.

slmgr.vbs /ipk 12345-12345-....  [Enter]

------------------------------------------------------

Note: Installing Win Emb Standard 7 or Posready 7 from eval. DVD still show the message "Eval copy..." on desktop.

You need to install Win from orig. OPK DVD's that you can order as registred MS Embedded partner with active CLA.

Thursday, December 5, 2013 9:06 AM
  • thanks,

but, it works just 1 year

Thursday, December 10, 2015 1:39 PM
  • Note:

You need to install Win embedded standard 7/POSREADY 7 from original OPK DVD's (NOT trial/Eval DVD !) that you can order as registered MS Embedded partner with active CLA.

Eval version cannot be "switched" to full version, even you later activate with valid license number.

Wednesday, February 3, 2016 10:18 AM