none
Error 1310. Error writing to file....Verify that you have access to that directory

Question

• Hi

My system is running Win 7 Professional 32 bit with 4gig RAM

I am experiencing a problem installing a piece of software - Laplink PC Mover - I need to migrate to my new machine.

The installer starts and the grinds to a halt with the error message:

"Error 1310. Error writing to file: C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Laplink PCMover Professional\Visit Laplink.com.url. Verify that you have access to that directory"

I understand from Laplink Tech Support that this is a generic Windows Installer problem, and searching the web it seems to crop up a lot.

I have done a lot of searching, including this site.

I have tried the solutions I have found so far:

1. Run as Administrator [my user profile has administrator rights but I tried that anyway]
    2. Run from the Administrator user account
    3. Install in Safe Mode - Windows tells me the installer is not available in safe mode!!!
    4. Un-registering and re-registering the installer via msiexec
    5. Using the SubInACL tool to repair file and registry permissions

After all of this, I get the same result - the installer halts with the same message.

Can anybody help? I am desperate to avoid two days solid re-installing all my expensive software, finding product keys etc.

Saturday, June 14, 2014 9:07 AM

Answers

• Thanks

I had tried a clean boot [disabling all non-MS services] but had the same problem.

In the end, I contacted Microsoft support who took remote control of the PC and reset permissions etc with "Repair Windows" from tweaking.com. Whole process took a few hours.

Cost me £65, but worth it to save my remaining hair!

Software then installed okay.

• Marked as answer by AJTrav Tuesday, July 15, 2014 6:11 PM
    Tuesday, July 15, 2014 6:11 PM

All replies

• Hi,

You can test in Clean Boot mode to avoid the software conflicts, in experience, some anti-virus program would lead this corruption.

Alex Zhao
    TechNet Community Support

Wednesday, June 18, 2014 1:16 AM
  • Thanks

I had tried a clean boot [disabling all non-MS services] but had the same problem.

In the end, I contacted Microsoft support who took remote control of the PC and reset permissions etc with "Repair Windows" from tweaking.com. Whole process took a few hours.

Cost me £65, but worth it to save my remaining hair!

Software then installed okay.

• Marked as answer by AJTrav Tuesday, July 15, 2014 6:11 PM
    Tuesday, July 15, 2014 6:11 PM
  • I am having an error 1310 in microsoft word 2010 after I upgraded to windows 10. I have completely uninstalled the software and rebooted several times, but I still get the same error message when I try to reinstall the software. Can you please help I need this software for school.
    Sunday, September 13, 2015 2:04 PM