MAPI Encryption RRS feed

• Question

• I have security related question. We are running exchange 2007 SP3 and our clients are on Outlook 2010.

We have the setting Enabled - "Encrypt Data Between Outlook and Microsoft Exchange server".

But on the server side MAPI Encryption Required is set False. Does that mean outlook doesnt encrypt the MAPI traffic to exchange server?

I was under the assumption since the setting is enabled on client side the traffic is still encrypted but not enforced. If the client e.g. outlook 2003 where this is disabled will still be able to communicate on un encrypted traffic?

Which is true? If i setup my outlook for encryption and server vale MAPI EncryptionRequired false does my client communicate on encrypted?

Why i do not want to set MAPI EncryptionRequired to true is because we might still have outlook 2003 clients which might get an issue.

Thanks and Regards Hemachandran

Tuesday, March 11, 2014 7:25 PM

Answers

• Mapi Encryption Required set to $false simply means that. Its not required, however any clients that are enabled for it will use encryption.

You can force Outlook 2003 to use encryption however with a GPO and that will allow you to set the requirement to true.

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=2006508

Twitter!: Please Note: My Posts are provided “AS IS” without warranty of any kind, either expressed or implied.

Tuesday, March 11, 2014 10:20 PM

All replies

• Mapi Encryption Required set to $false simply means that. Its not required, however any clients that are enabled for it will use encryption.

You can force Outlook 2003 to use encryption however with a GPO and that will allow you to set the requirement to true.

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=2006508

Twitter!: Please Note: My Posts are provided “AS IS” without warranty of any kind, either expressed or implied.

Tuesday, March 11, 2014 10:20 PM
  • Hi,

Any update?

Thanks

Mavis

Mavis Huang
    TechNet Community Support

Tuesday, March 18, 2014 8:58 AM