Windows Blue Screen Error RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, I'm having a Blue Screen error issue in Windows 7 Home Premium (64 bit)

I tried the steps here:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/Resolving-stop-blue-screen-errors-in-Windows-7

but it's still happening.

I ran disk and memory (extended) diagnostics and they come up clean.

I happens a lot while doing something in Internet Explorer 11 (version 11.0.9600.16476; Update Version 11.0.2), but it also happens when the computer is unattended.

I have:

- a Gigabye GA-Z77-DS3H (rev. 1.1) motherboard
    - Intel i3-3220 3.30GHz processor
    - 8GB RAM PNY 2x4GB DDR3-1333
    - Seagate 1TB HDD

I've seen the blue screen happen a couple times and the last time I tried to read the stop code and I think it's 0x00000001

Here's a link to a file that contains some of the mini-dump files as well as the MSINFO32 output:

https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resid=A7E2894EB9F6707A%21176

Here's the text from one of the occurrences that was viewable after restart:

Problem signature:
      Problem Event Name: BlueScreen
      OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.768.3
      Locale ID: 1033

Additional information about the problem:
      BCCode: 3b
      BCP1: 00000000C0000005
      BCP2: FFFFF8000287E97C
      BCP3: FFFFF88006621800
      BCP4: 0000000000000000
      OS Version: 6_1_7601
      Service Pack: 1_0
      Product: 768_1

Files that help describe the problem:
      C:\Windows\Minidump\011114-20248-01.dmp
      C:\Users\hedi\AppData\Local\Temp\WER-38766-0.sysdata.xml

Your assistance is very much appreciated.

Regards,

Doug

Wednesday, January 15, 2014 1:45 PM

Answers

• Doug

I would start by running verifier as I think it isn't the RAM but rather a driver.  If verifier doesn't find the misbehaving driver you can always run memtest later.

Wanikiya and Dyami--Team Zigzag

• Marked as answer by Roger Lu Thursday, February 6, 2014 2:30 AM
    Wednesday, January 15, 2014 5:43 PM

All replies

• Doug

These crashes were related to memory management (probably caused by a driver). 

Please run these tests to verify your memory and find which driver is causing the problem.  

If you are overclocking (pushing the components beyond their design) you should revert to default at least until the crashing is solved. If you don't know what it is you probably are not overclocking.

1-Memtest. (You can read more about running memtest here)
    2-Driver verifier (for complete directions see our wiki here)
    Co-Authored by  JMH3143

Wednesday, January 15, 2014 1:51 PM
  • Wanikiya and Dyami, Thanks for the super-fast response. I started the driver verifier (and rebooted); I will have to wait until this evening to start Memtest.

I checked my motherboard's website and the memory brand I have (PNY) is not on their approved list (though they state that the list is not exhaustive). While I have to wait to run Memtest, I could run out and get approved memory and swap it in during the day. Is that worth a shot? I see that you said that probably a driver is causing the problem -- I assume you mean any driver, not just a memory driver. The only memory-related driver I see in Device Manager is "Direct memory access controller."

I am working my way through my drivers -- checking against gigabyte's site for any updates. Any issue with updating drivers while Driver Verifier is on? My computer did freeze (but did not get BSOD) right after rebooting after setting up Driver Verifier, but I rebooted again and it seems ok.

Thanks again!

Wednesday, January 15, 2014 3:13 PM
  • Doug

I would start by running verifier as I think it isn't the RAM but rather a driver.  If verifier doesn't find the misbehaving driver you can always run memtest later.

• Marked as answer by Roger Lu Thursday, February 6, 2014 2:30 AM
    Wednesday, January 15, 2014 5:43 PM