When RDP closes non gracefully ( VPN network went down ) it gets the network on host server stuck for several minutes RRS feed

• Question

• When RDP closes non gracefully ( VPN network went down ) it gets the network on host server stuck for several minutes
    We are using SSL VPN to connecto from our Site in Israel to Our Sitee in Chicago.
    Then We use RemoteDesktop to a server in Chicago.
    When the network connection is lost on the Israel Server it causes the Network on the Chicago Server to get stuck
    For example ping from the Chicago server to a different server in Chicago network is not sent for several seconds once 
    the network went down.
    I need to make sure that the Israel network goes down when we have a RemoteDesktop open to a server won't effect
    the network on the Host Server in Chicago.
    We tried Both On Win7 and Win XP.(Same problem in both)
    Thanks,
    Matan
    Sunday, July 15, 2012 6:37 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Do you mean the VPN will go down when you close the RDP connection between the local site and the host server in Chicago?  And if both of the sites are connected via SSL VPN, whenever the RDP is closed on any client, the VPN is connected all the time.

To check the status of the network before and after RDP.

Meanwhile, you may contact VPN manufacture for assistance. 

Ivan-Liu

TechNet Community Support

• Edited by Ivan-Liu Monday, July 16, 2012 2:11 AM
    Monday, July 16, 2012 2:08 AM
  • Hi,

I mean that in case the VPN connection goes down while the RDP session is open it will cause the Network on the Server side (Chicago) to get stuck for a couple of minute.

SO this is not a problem in the VPN.

In addition when we use two Remote Desktop hops( Meaning we connect from Israel to Server "A" in Chicago using RDP and from server "A" we RDP to Server "B" in Chicago) And the VPN connection is closed

only the network in server "A" gets stuck for a couple of seconds

Thanks,
    matan

Monday, July 16, 2012 6:06 AM
  • only the network in server "A" gets stuck for a couple of seconds

There are so many sessions on Server "A", generally speaking it will take several seconds, of course, it depends on your network and Server performance. Do you have a test only RDP to Server "A" without another "A" to "B". A suggestion is to enhance your Server "A" performance and optimize the network.

Ivan-Liu

TechNet Community Support

Monday, July 16, 2012 8:24 AM
  • Hi,

I've tested only RemoteDesktop to Server "A" and only a very small application running on Server "A"

And when the VPN connection goes down while RDP is open The network on Server "A" hangs for a few minutes.

Why does this happen ? is the RDP goiong over all the available NIC to fnd the lost connection ?

Or what optiomization should I do Which RDP params to change ?

Thanks,
    Matan

Monday, July 16, 2012 9:26 AM