WDP not reactivated properly after automatic updates? RRS feed

• General discussion

• Hi all,

We have a lab with 20+ machines, all running XP SP3 with SteadyState 2.5.

Lately, I've been finding that every so often, random machines will have their WDP settings switched from "Remove all changes" to "Retain all changes".  This doesn't happen often, and doesn't happen consistently, so my first thought was that a user was somehow changing the WDP settings for their own nefarious purposes.

Accordingly, I set up a vbscript to alert me via email when a WDP status change is detected.  From what I can tell, it seems that this issue may be happening when Automatic Updates runs, but (for some reason), doesn't properly reset WDP to "Remove all changes".

Anyone else run into this issue?  Any logs/troubleshooting tips someone can point to to help me confirm my suspicion?  Any possible solutions?

Thanks!

-- Greg Williams West Linn Public Library
    • Changed type Leo Huang Friday, January 21, 2011 6:46 AM
    Friday, January 14, 2011 9:56 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Before going any further, I would like to verify what kind of update did you use? Did you  use Windows SteadyState to automatically download and install updates?

When you  turn on Windows Disk Protection, you’d better use Schedule Updates within Windows SteadyState, you can click “Schedule Software Updates” and set Schedule Updates in WSS.

Hope it helps.

Regards,

Leo   Huang

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Monday, January 17, 2011 4:35 AM
  • Hi Leo,

Yes, I am using SteadyState's "Schedule Software Updates" feature.  The automatic update is set for 7:00 AM every day (at least 3 hours before we open to the public to allow plenty of time for the updates to complete).

From everything I can tell, WSS is starting the Update process, turning WDP to "Retain", and downloading/installing updates.  Intermittently, however, WSS does not seem to be properly putting WDP back to "Remove" after the scheduled updates are completed.

Any help appreciated!

-- Greg Williams West Linn Public Library
    Monday, January 17, 2011 5:37 AM