none
Estimating Size of backup Items taking considerable amount of time? RRS feed

• Question

• The part of the Azure Online Backup that does the "estimating size of back items" is taking hours to complete.   Is there anyway to speed it up?  I want to be backing up files right away, not have to wait for an estimate of size.

Tuesday, December 18, 2012 9:57 PM

All replies

• Hi,

the message might be little misleading but as part of estimating size of the backup items, we enumerate what all files and directories need to be backed up based on whether they changed from last backup and then start backing them up. if you have huge amount of files and directories say like a build server then its likely you will be seeing this. We already have a feature request to improve this for such kind of workloads.

Thanks

Prashanth

Wednesday, December 19, 2012 2:29 AM
  • I seem to have to go through this even to do a single file restore. I have to wait hours for this estimation process to complete just to restore a single file. This renders Azure backup virtually useless for anything but full disaster recovery. Waiting hours to restore a file just because there are a lot of files on the drive being backed up is pretty crazy.
    Monday, January 12, 2015 12:28 AM