none
Unable to login with Domain Admin account on Domain Machine that has been upgraded from Windows 10 home to Windows 10Pro RRS feed

• Question

• In the last couple of days I've upgraded 3 PCs in our office from Windows 10 Home to Windows 10 Pro in order to place these PCs onto our domain.

Having successfully upgraded to Windows 10 Pro and added the PCs to the domain I can login to each PC with the local admin user and any of the Domain Users. BUT I can't login with any of the Domain Admin users. For the Domain Admin users it tells me that the user name or password is incorrect.

However, this is not the case. I can logon to the server (Windows 2012 R2) and other PCs on the domain that were installed from Windows 10 Pro DVD without a problem.

Any ideas?

Pleases note also that each of the Windows 10 Pro PCs have been recently upgraded to build 1607
    • Edited by velocity_design Tuesday, September 27, 2016 3:55 PM Additional comment
    Tuesday, September 27, 2016 3:51 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Are Domain Admins a member of the local administrators group on each of the PCs you upgraded?

Thank you.

JA

Tuesday, September 27, 2016 4:06 PM
  • In the last couple of days I've upgraded 3 PCs in our office from Windows 10 Home to Windows 10 Pro in order to place these PCs onto our domain.

Having successfully upgraded to Windows 10 Pro and added the PCs to the domain I can login to each PC with the local admin user and any of the Domain Users. BUT I can't login with any of the Domain Admin users. For the Domain Admin users it tells me that the user name or password is incorrect.

See THIS THREAD.  Solution for same problem was to run the Win 10 Pro ISO upgrade on top of your existing 10 Pro installation.
    Wednesday, September 28, 2016 12:26 AM
  • Hi,

Kindly try add domain administrator account into the Administrators group and try again.

If issue still presents, you may need to use creation media tool to download 1607 iso file then reinstall system, get this tool from here.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows10

Regards

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, September 28, 2016 6:58 AM
  • Thank you for your prompt reply.

In answer to your suggestion I've already added the Domain Admin users as administrators to one of the PCs as a test. This hasn't worked. If I was in a larger organisation I would say this was a non starter anyway. I don't have the time to go round and add my Domain Admin to every PC in my organisation. That's a ridiculous position to be in. Nor do I particularly have the time to do a re-install of Windows 10 Pro every time Microsoft gets it wrong. 

So, is a re-install my only option? Because I don't like it.

I've looked into this a little further. Some of the original PCs were upgrades from Window 7 or 8/8.1 to Windows 10 Pro and others have been clean installed from DVD/USB memory using earlier build of Windows 10 Pro. These have subsequently been upgraded to 1607 via Windows Update. None of these PCs are experiencing these problems.

The issue only appears with PCs that had the Windows 10 Home edition on to start with. Nor does this work from a clean install with the Windows 10 Home/Pro (Build 1607) disk image downloaded from our account on partner.microsoft.com

Any other ideas?

Wednesday, September 28, 2016 10:14 AM
  • Hi,

Is Group Policy being applied successfully on these PCs you upgraded? Open the command prompt on one of these PCs, and run the command: gpresult /r

Examine the output and make sure that the 'Group Policy Objects' are being applied in particular the 'Default Domain Policy'.

Thank you.

JPA

Wednesday, September 28, 2016 3:01 PM
  • Hi,

After some thought, reluctantly, the 3 new PCs were re-installed with Windows 10 Enterprise.

These had the Group Policy updated and are now working as they should. All users both local and domain are able to login.

I have 1 remaining PC that was originally Windows 8 Home was upgrade to 10 Home and finally to 10 Pro via the Microsoft Store.

It's not practical to re-install this PC as its my development PC with many software tools and a significant amount of code on the hard drive.

As someone else suggested I've removed it from the domain, renamed the PC. Added it back to the domain. Updated the Group Policy and rebooted. But to no avail. If anything the problem appears to be slightly worse. I can now only login using local machine accounts.

Using gpresult /r I've confirmed that the PC has the Default Group Policy applied.

As the new PCs are now working this problem is not quite so urgent. But nonetheless it is inconvenient.

As stated previously, this appears to be a problem with PCs upgraded from Home edition to Pro.

I can't spend endless amounts of time looking into this. Nor do I expect anyone else to on my behalf.

So, unless there are any other ideas I'm going to chalk this up to experience and go with what I know.

Thank you

Tuesday, October 4, 2016 8:54 AM