none
MDT 2013 Update 1 - sometimes lose connection to deployment share after reboot RRS feed

• Question

• On my companies deployment server, we sometimes lose connection to the deployment server after a reboot. The drive will be mapped but when you click it it will say "Access is denied". It usually happens after a reboot for updates, and my current reoccuring computer is a physical test computer with an SSD.

I did some research and saw that it tries to map it with the built-in Adminstrator account when this happens. Normally it maps under the username/password that is used to login to the server at winPE. We do not store a username/password in customsettings.ini or bootstrap.ini, but we do pre-fill in the Domain.

The workaround is to disconnect, re-map the drive, and restart the deployment which it skips half of it from already being done, but this is a nuisance and logistical headache when working with many users deploying computers.

I have tried this (https://4sysops.com/archives/resolving-a-connection-to-the-deployment-share-could-not-be-madeerrors-in-mdt/) but it has not made a difference.

Any suggestions on figuring this out? Maybe it is fixed in Update 2?

One log line I notice is: <![LOG[Unable to connect to share: The network path was not found.
    ( 0x80070035 ) , trying to connect without username. ]LOG]!><time="15:54:56.000+000" date="05-19-2016" component="LiteTouch" context="" type="1" thread="" file="LiteTouch">

Also our deployment share does not accept anonymous login attempts due to another share on the server specified having it turned on. If you try to connect to share without entering a username/password via map network drive it will not let you in.

Thursday, May 19, 2016 8:52 PM

Answers

• Never use SLSHareDynamicLogging unless you have a VERY specific debugging scenario. It has all sorts of problems in real sceanrios. SHShare is best for general use.

Keith Garner - Principal Consultant [owner] - http://DeploymentLive.com

• Marked as answer by Shunny Thursday, June 2, 2016 8:39 PM
    Friday, May 27, 2016 4:15 PM

All replies

• Might be your permissions:https://keithga.wordpress.com/2015/10/02/mdt-uberbug11-security-vs-usability/

Many questions such as where do I find logs and what logs are interesting are found in: MDT TechNet Forum - FAQ & Getting Started Guide Please take the time to read it. Also if you don't post logs your problem won't be easily solved.

Thursday, May 19, 2016 10:27 PM
  • We upgraded from MDT 2012 U1 and didn't have any permissions issues with the share. We have AD groups that we use to provision access. The deploy share will connect at the start but get disconnected at some point in future.

This did occasionally happen before our upgrade to MDT 2013.

Friday, May 20, 2016 4:24 PM
  • It is not clear to me what the problem or scenario is from the description above. Sometimes a BDD.log file can help.

1. You mention sometimes it happens after performing an update, specifically what did you update, does it always happen after the same update? It's possible it might be a driver issue. For this reason and others, we usually recommend using a Hyper-V client to capture reference images.

2. MDT should automatically attempt to connect to the server using the credentials supplied earlier. You say that the script is attempting to connect using the built-in administrator account, how did you verify this?

Monday, May 23, 2016 11:43 PM
  • 2. MDT should automatically attempt to connect to the server using the credentials supplied earlier. You say that the script is attempting to connect using the built-in administrator account, how did you verify this?

Looked up a wmic command to check what username the deploy share tried to connect with.

wmic netuse where LocalName=Z: get UserName /value

This is happening most often on VMs and SDDs that run quickly for deployment. I am attempting to use /debug on one image to see if I can get more debugging information. I have figured out that the map network drive code is in ZTIUtility.vbs and have tried looking at that. It's possible if it tries to map without getting the username/password out of variables.dat that this could happen, but not sure what would cause that to fail.

Tuesday, May 24, 2016 3:01 PM
  • It is not clear to me what the problem or scenario is from the description above. Sometimes a BDD.log file can help.

The problem is the computer loses a connection to the deployshare in the middle of the deployment, which stops deployment, and it appears it is because the network drive credentials are reverting to using a local administrator account instead of a domain account.

Here is an attempt at the bdd.log from the time of the last application install to the Windows Update. I am aware that Windows Updates has the WU_E_PT_EXCEEDED_MAX_SERVER_TRIPS error because I wiped out Windows Update data on my base image before deploying updates and didnt let it check into WSUS. I am probably going to fix the base image but the deployshare issue seems to be something else, possibly related to Windows Updates requiring several reboots.

BDD.log link : https://bushare-my.sharepoint.com/personal/rwt_bu_edu/_layouts/15/guestaccess.aspx?guestaccesstoken=qSSPA0Ti%2fkVUAJKyaPjiTLq%2bBJijYYMlJoUTWQjIrNE%3d&docid=04b6ebf220cb54445b9f0cda2074053b3

Tuesday, May 24, 2016 7:36 PM
  • UPDATE: I am attempting to disable SLShareDynamicLogging which seems to be making it's own connection to the network share and may be intefering with the normal deployment share map. You always see it trying to connect to the share before the drive is remapped in the logs.

I saw some related posts about that function at this post  which gave me the idea and I've successfully run 1 SSD image without any problems. A VM image had the same result.

We almost never utilize the log folder the SLShare works in and it doesn't seem to copy the data half the time anyway. Also doesn't seem like test deployments to multiple of the same computer name.

Friday, May 27, 2016 12:42 PM
  • Never use SLSHareDynamicLogging unless you have a VERY specific debugging scenario. It has all sorts of problems in real sceanrios. SHShare is best for general use.

• Marked as answer by Shunny Thursday, June 2, 2016 8:39 PM
    Friday, May 27, 2016 4:15 PM