Volume bar black?? RRS feed

• Question

• My volume bar at the top left corner of my screen is black, as well as my screen brightness bar. This happened a couple days ago (at least that's when I noticed it) and neither the volume nor brightness is working. Also, the bar doesn't move at all when I use the buttons on my keyboard :(

Update: I tried it with headphones, and now the volume is working over the speakers... but only when the headphones are plugged in.

????

Monday, April 4, 2016 9:15 PM

Answers

• Hi LadyDeathicorn

The main issue is the volume is not working without headphone plugged in, right?

“My volume bar at the top left corner of my screen is black, as well as my screen brightness bar.”

It will be better if you could provide a screenshot about this issue, it will help us to troubleshoot your issue better.

We could try to download the fix tool to repair computer sound problems

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/mats/audioplayback?wa=wsignin1.0

If the issue persists, we could try to uninstall the  audio device’s driver in Device Manger, then reinstall it again to have a test.

If this issue occurred recently, we could refer to S.Sengupta’s suggestion to perform a system restore to recover the machine to a previous normal point.

Best regards.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, April 6, 2016 2:29 PM

All replies

• As it happened a couple of days ago then you may go for a System Restore. Select ant Restore Point when there was no such issue.

You ma go for a Clean Boot. A clean boot helps eliminate software conflicts.

You may also change the theme or wallpaper to check the issue.

S.Sengupta, Windows Experience MVP

Monday, April 4, 2016 11:39 PM
  • Hi LadyDeathicorn

The main issue is the volume is not working without headphone plugged in, right?

“My volume bar at the top left corner of my screen is black, as well as my screen brightness bar.”

It will be better if you could provide a screenshot about this issue, it will help us to troubleshoot your issue better.

We could try to download the fix tool to repair computer sound problems

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/mats/audioplayback?wa=wsignin1.0

If the issue persists, we could try to uninstall the  audio device’s driver in Device Manger, then reinstall it again to have a test.

If this issue occurred recently, we could refer to S.Sengupta’s suggestion to perform a system restore to recover the machine to a previous normal point.

Best regards.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, April 6, 2016 2:29 PM