locked
Exchange 2007 -- Attached PDF and doc files -- PDF file not visable RRS feed

  • Question

  • Environment is Exchange 2007 and Outlook 2007 (within 30 days of being fully patched).

    An e-mail arrives from outside that contains some e-mail content and two attachements (.doc and .pdf).

    Size of the e-mail is 1 MB.  Content filtering is set at 9.

    Within OWA and Outlook 2007 we do not see the .pdf attachment.  Using Blackberry Enterprise server (via Blackberry phone) you can see and open the PDF.  Additionally, if you forward the e-mail to the same user account (and different ones).... everyone can see both attachments.

    Thanks.

    Cordt Huneke


    Cordt Huneke
    Thursday, May 26, 2011 9:39 PM

All replies

  • Did you recently install Exchange 2003 sp3 roll up 3? Someone reported similar problem the other day but little different he was able to see it in OWA but not Outlook.

     

    http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/exchangesvradmin/thread/22975059-5503-42f1-9a03-3d89268ac85a


    James Chong MCITP | EA | EMA; MCSE | M+, S+ Security+, Project+, ITIL msexchangetips.blogspot.com
    Thursday, May 26, 2011 9:45 PM
  • James,

    I did perform the Exchange 2007 SP3 Roll up 3 just two weeks ago..

    I've also gotten back a little more information that could help.  The original thread started on a Windows station (XP) with them attaching (PDF) to the e-mail (using a post-fix mail server), the e-mail was sent to a Mac that attached the doc. file and then was sent to our team (Exchange 2007 server)

    Additionally, if the e-mail with the PDF is just forwarded to me with out the word doc, I can't see the PDF either.  

    If I use the Thunderbird (via IMAP) client.... I can see all the attachments from all e-mails.

    Cordt


    Cordt Huneke
    Friday, May 27, 2011 1:24 PM
  • James,

    Do you know of anything else that can be done besides backing out of the Exchange SP3 rollup 3V-2 patch?  

    Cordt


    Cordt Huneke
    Friday, May 27, 2011 1:47 PM
  • I would call Microsoft support and see if there is an interim update you can install or the status of the issue.

    ALso see:

    http://blogs.technet.com/b/exchange/archive/2011/04/21/mixed-ing-it-up-multipart-mixed-messages-and-you.aspx

     

     

    Friday, May 27, 2011 2:12 PM
  • The below may help

    1. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/954684/en-us

    2. Also, you might want to enable pipeline tracing to see the status of the message/attachment during the piple transport and check the logs.

    3. I assume all others attachments works fine.  Ask the user to attach the PDF via Outlook and try the different formats RTF/Plain text/HTML. Dont use postifx to attach the PDF.  Test these results. (Outllok&owa)

    4. Send an email (with PDF) from an external account to the same user and see of you get the attachments (outlook&owa)

    5. Could be with the way the message is being sent, i.e not the correct MIME format.  If you can, have a look at the headers of the message and look a the content-type (is it multipart/related)


    Sukh
    Friday, May 27, 2011 3:25 PM
  • An interim update exists for inline pdf issues.
    Friday, May 27, 2011 9:10 PM
  • An interim update exists for inline pdf issues.


    Cool. I was hoping they had one ready!

     

    Friday, May 27, 2011 11:45 PM
  • Hi Cordth,

     

    Do you have any update?

    Did you do the tests?


    Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Monday, May 30, 2011 5:55 AM
  • This article says SP2 and does not mention SP3.  Wouldn't the problem be the inline handling and forcing it to False would push it to attachment every time?

    http://blogs.technet.com/b/exchange/archive/2011/04/21/mixed-ing-it-up-multipart-mixed-messages-and-you.aspx indicates this will be in a future rollup but you have to pay up first and ask for it and hope they decide not to keep your money.

    Meanwhile my clients are not thrilled.

    I did find this post:

    Steve Maser
    9 May 2011 8:31 AM

    #

    Our Exchange Admins installed the IU over the weekend.

    This fixed the "Mail.app/non-Exchange-users sending in-line PDFs to Outlook/Exchange users who are not seeing the PDF" issue.

    However, there are still issues for Mail.app users -- who are configured for Exchange.

    1)  If a Mail.app/non-Exchange user sends a message with an in-line PDF to a Mail.app/Exchange user -- the in-line PDF goes to the *bottom* of the body of the message.

    2)  If a Mail.app/Exchange user sends a message with an in-line PDF to a Mail.app user -- configured for Exchange or something else -- the recipient sees *no* PDF in the body (inline or otherwise).  In this case the message in the "Sent" mailbox is also not showing any in-line PDF.

    However, in both cases, the attachment is shown in the header of the received message.

    So, the IU does not fix all possible (yet common) issues with in-line PDFs.

    Thursday, June 2, 2011 9:58 PM