none
Incremental Backup not an option

Question

• I must be missing something easy but I'm not understanding the incremental backup option in the migration tool.  I'm using version 2.0.99.0.  Initially, I set up a migration task from an on-prem site and it migrates all the data as expected.  I have the option to Save Task beforehand, and I do that, but I'm not sure that it matters.  When the process is finished I get the option to Close or View Report.

After I open the tool again, I have to choose Where is your Data and I get the normal options. If I choose to Open a JSON or CSV file for bulk migration, which is only way I can open the Saved Task, it doesn't do an incremental backup.

The official documentation says that you:

1. Start the SharePoint Migration Tool, and then click Next.

2. Enter your Office 365 username and password, and then click Sign in.

3. The screen titled "Where's your data" displays. Click Cancel.

4. Enter your tasks as usual, and then migrate.

5. After a task completes, click Yes when you see the following prompt:

--Sorry, not allowed to post an image--

Problem is, I never see that prompt: "The migration finished.  Do you want to keep this migration for future incremental runs?"

I have to be missing something easy, surely.  Thanks for any help provided.

Sunday, May 13, 2018 3:50 AM

All replies

• roblem is, I never see that prompt: "The migration finished.  Do you want to keep this migration for future incremental runs?"

Me too on version 2.0.99.1! It used to prompt on exiting (as per the help documentation) on previous versions but now it doesn't.
    Tuesday, May 15, 2018 8:46 AM
  • I'm getting the exact same experience on the current 2.0.99.1 of the tool too. The last version of v1 before v2 came out of beta used to do this but v2 doesn't do it. Although my experience of running the incremental with the v1 tool was that it essentially checked everything in exactly the same way as reloading the CSV anyway so the only benefit is to save you having to re-load the CSV into the tool again.
    Wednesday, May 23, 2018 10:36 PM
  • Thanks for all your feedback. I am confirming with team on incremental migration, please stay tuned. 

Thursday, May 24, 2018 12:46 AM