none
Assigning Multiple Resources to the same task but different dates RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I am using Microsoft Project Professional 2013 on Win7 64-bit.

I have tried to assign multiple resources to the same task who are available at different dates and would appreciate your comments if the process I have used to accomplish this is correct? 

Exmaple: I have a task with duration 20days. There are 3 resources working on this task. R1 is available 100% for the entire duration, R2 is available only 50% but only for 11 days and resource 3 is available 100% only for 2 days. 

After assigning r1 and r2 @50% to the task, I used task usage to change the 'finish' dates for r2 which adds upto the 11days for R2. Is this the right method? I added the 'work' column to confirm the total work (hrs) allocated for this resource which was 44hrs.

How do I assign R3 only for 2 days for the same task? Thanks in advance. 

Wednesday, March 12, 2014 10:37 PM

Answers

• Avinash.Rao --

I would approach this in a different manner than you.  After removing the resources currently assigned to the task, this is what I would do:

1. Apply the Gantt Chart view and select the task in question.
    2. Set the Duration of the task to 20 days.
    3. Right-click anywhere in the Gantt Chart pane and select the Show Split item on the shortcut menu.
    4. In the Task Form pane, select the R1 resource and enter 100% in the Units column, and enter 160 hours in the Work column (do not click the OK button and do not click in the top pane).
    5. In the Task Form pane and below the R1 resource, select the R2 resource, enter 50% in the Units column, and enter 44 hours in the Work column (do not click OK and do not click in the top pane).
    6. In the Task Form pane and below the R2 resource, select the R3 resource, enter 100% in the Units column, and enter 16 hours in the Work column.
    7. In the Task Form pane, click the OK button.
    8. Right-click in the Task Form pane and select the Schedule details on the shortcut menu.
    9. For resources R2 and R3, set the Scheduled Start date to the date when you expect them to begin their work, and then click the OK button.

Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Wednesday, March 12, 2014 10:52 PM
  • Avinash.Rao --

Your method with R3 would give you the most control over the assignment process when the resource does not work continuously.  Go for it, my friend!  :)  Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

• Marked as answer by Avinash.Rao Thursday, March 13, 2014 9:59 PM
    Thursday, March 13, 2014 1:51 PM

All replies

• Avinash.Rao --

I would approach this in a different manner than you.  After removing the resources currently assigned to the task, this is what I would do:

3. Right-click anywhere in the Gantt Chart pane and select the Show Split item on the shortcut menu.
    4. In the Task Form pane, select the R1 resource and enter 100% in the Units column, and enter 160 hours in the Work column (do not click the OK button and do not click in the top pane).
    5. In the Task Form pane and below the R1 resource, select the R2 resource, enter 50% in the Units column, and enter 44 hours in the Work column (do not click OK and do not click in the top pane).
    6. In the Task Form pane and below the R2 resource, select the R3 resource, enter 100% in the Units column, and enter 16 hours in the Work column.
    8. Right-click in the Task Form pane and select the Schedule details on the shortcut menu.
    9. For resources R2 and R3, set the Scheduled Start date to the date when you expect them to begin their work, and then click the OK button.

Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Wednesday, March 12, 2014 10:52 PM
  • Avinash.Rao --

Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Hi Dale,

Thanks for your detailed explanation. The steps you have described makes more sense as I am able to change the dates for each resource without affecting the dates for the task.

I also figured that this can be done through Resource Usage by manually entering the work hours for the days the resource is expected to work for that task.. In resource usage I am able to assign R3 for 2 different dates within the duration of the task. For ex: R3 is available only on day3 and day15. Is this the right method to assign R3?

Cheers,

Wednesday, March 12, 2014 11:10 PM
  • Avinash.Rao --

Your method with R3 would give you the most control over the assignment process when the resource does not work continuously.  Go for it, my friend!  :)  Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

• Marked as answer by Avinash.Rao Thursday, March 13, 2014 9:59 PM
    Thursday, March 13, 2014 1:51 PM
  • Avinash.Rao --

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Yes, it does. R3 was originally scheduled to work 2 continuous days but was changed to work on two different dates.. so I had to use Resource Usage view..

Thanks! 

Thursday, March 13, 2014 9:58 PM