none
Deploying Applications with Make and Model RRS feed

• Question

• I've got a nice Windows 7 deployment setup to install using Make and Model in MDT 2013. Now we want to deploy Windows 10 to the same hardware. It doesn't look like using Make and Model will work for installing a different OS on the same hardware using my method. Especially now that there are  newer Windows 10 versions of the same apps I'm installing with Windows 7.

I know I could just setup a Task Sequence and specify the apps and OS but I like using the DB to automate.

Has anyone run into the same scenario?

Orange County District Attorney

Thursday, February 18, 2016 7:51 PM

All replies

• If you used a DB to automate deploying Windows 7 to let's say a Dell OptiPlex 9010, how is the DB supposed to know that Sally gets Windows 7 on her 9010, but Harry gets Windows 10 on his 9010?

All I can think of off the top of my head is switching to using Asset Tag or Serial Number and assigning specific computers to receive a specific OS. Which sounds like way too much work if you have lots of computers.

I have a different TS for Windows 7 and 10 and then add apps that are specific to the OS within the task sequence.

If this post is helpful please vote it as Helpful or click Mark for answer.

Thursday, February 18, 2016 9:23 PM
  • I'm leaning towards creating a dedicated TS for this Win 10 deployment.

Thursday, February 18, 2016 9:25 PM
  • I'd say if you knew all the computers on a specific default gateway were going to be Windows 10, then you could use defaultgateway in your priority list.

If this post is helpful please vote it as Helpful or click Mark for answer.

Thursday, February 18, 2016 9:32 PM
  • You will need to do a dedicated TS for Win 10.  There are some changes to the disk partitioning that will require it.

Logs are very important. https://keithga.wordpress.com/2014/10/24/video-mdt-2013-log-files-basics-bdd-log-and-smsts-log/ Mention any customizations you have made.

Thursday, February 18, 2016 10:05 PM
  • Well, that decides it then. I will!

Thursday, February 18, 2016 10:11 PM