none
Using Windows 10 Hyper-V Manager to Manage Hyper-V Server 2012R2 Hosts RRS feed

• Question

• Hello, I just upgraded my machine to Windows 10 and now my Hyper-V Manager cannot connect to and manage our Server 2012R2 Hyper-V Hosts. I get the following error.

"An error occurred while attempting to connect to server xxxxx. Check that the Virtual Machine Management service is running and that you are authorized to connect to the server."

I've read in multiple places that Hyper-V Manager in Windows 10 and Server 10 will support managing Server 2012 and 2012R2 hosts. I'm not sure why it's not working though.

Any help would be appreciated.

Friday, July 17, 2015 5:39 PM

Answers

• After further testing, I noticed that WinRM service isn't even needed for the connection to work. It is needed only to add the trusted host (the second command in my previous reply).

So the sequence would be (in elevated powershell):

Start-Service WinRM

winrm set winrm/config/client '@{TrustedHosts="THE_NAME_OF_THE_SERVER"}'

Stop-Service WinRM

Thursday, August 6, 2015 2:11 PM
  • I just tested and I can create a new VM, I can see the drives from the server. I can create new virtual drives, export machines, etc.

Friday, August 7, 2015 8:49 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Have you configured the dcomcnfg permissions? 

Win + R --> dcomcnfg --> Component Services --> Computers --> My Computer (R-Click) --> Properties --> COM Security --> Edit Limits --> ANONYMOUS LOGON --> Remote Access --> (enable) Allow

OK --> Apply --> OK --> Close Component Services

Usually does the trick!

Cheers

Andrew

Cheers! Andrew

Friday, July 17, 2015 6:51 PM
  • Hi,

Have you configured the dcomcnfg permissions? 

Win + R --> dcomcnfg --> Component Services --> Computers --> My Computer (R-Click) --> Properties --> COM Security --> Edit Limits --> ANONYMOUS LOGON --> Remote Access --> (enable) Allow

OK --> Apply --> OK --> Close Component Services

Usually does the trick!

Cheers

Andrew

Cheers! Andrew

Thanks for the reply. I have tried that and the problem still exists. I actually had that setting enabled when I was running Windows 8.1 before upgrading to Windows 10240. Have you actually had success connecting? I'm wondering if the firewall ports have changed?

Btw, I'm sorry I didn't see your response earlier. I had forgotten to setup email notifications when someone posts something.

Monday, July 20, 2015 10:08 PM
  • Ah! Windows 10... the connections in Windows 10 (to Hyper-V and Windows Server) are a bit flaky, being polite, just now. I'm quite sure Microsoft will have it sorted out by July 29.  But in the mean time, in a not very serious lab environment, I was able to achieve a connection by running the following (as administrator):set

icmpsetting 8 enable all

set multicastbroadcastresponse mode=enable profile=standard

and then by setting logging to a user-defined file rather than the default location (%window%\pfirewall.log):

set logging C:\logs\firewall.log 4096 enable enable

(make sure the log file has the correct read/write/modify permissions)

If this doesn't work try:

set opmode enable

set service remoteadmin enable subnet

If this doesn't work try disabling the firewall:

netsh advfirewall set allprofiles state off

(turn it back on with netsh advfirewall set allprofiles state on)

I will admit to having some mixed success with these, thank goodness there's

netsh advfirewall reset

As far as I am aware the ports haven't changed (not sure even Microsoft are that brave :D )

Just looking at my notes and I see I did all the server configuration before moving to the client; oh and I wrote the hosts file (%windir%\system32\drivers\etc) to include all the relevant servers:

10.0.0.1 client

10.0.0.2 this_server

10.0.0.3 that_server

10.0.0.4 other_server

I put this on every server and client. 

Does seem rather a lot of work...

Cheers

Andrew

Cheers! Andrew

Monday, July 20, 2015 11:05 PM
  • Ah! Windows 10... the connections in Windows 10 (to Hyper-V and Windows Server) are a bit flaky, being polite, just now. I'm quite sure Microsoft will have it sorted out by July 29.  But in the mean time, in a not very serious lab environment, I was able to achieve a connection by running the following (as administrator):set

icmpsetting 8 enable all

set multicastbroadcastresponse mode=enable profile=standard

and then by setting logging to a user-defined file rather than the default location (%window%\pfirewall.log):

set logging C:\logs\firewall.log 4096 enable enable

(make sure the log file has the correct read/write/modify permissions)

If this doesn't work try:

set opmode enable

set service remoteadmin enable subnet

If this doesn't work try disabling the firewall:

netsh advfirewall set allprofiles state off

(turn it back on with netsh advfirewall set allprofiles state on)

I will admit to having some mixed success with these, thank goodness there's

netsh advfirewall reset

As far as I am aware the ports haven't changed (not sure even Microsoft are that brave :D )

Just looking at my notes and I see I did all the server configuration before moving to the client; oh and I wrote the hosts file (%windir%\system32\drivers\etc) to include all the relevant servers:

10.0.0.1 client

10.0.0.2 this_server

10.0.0.3 that_server

10.0.0.4 other_server

I put this on every server and client. 

Does seem rather a lot of work...

Cheers

Andrew

Cheers! Andrew

Thanks! I'll give it a shot. I sure hope we won't have to do this forever. Btw, I'm trying to connect from VPN.
    Monday, July 20, 2015 11:24 PM
  • None of the commands seem to work, besides disabling the firewall, which I did on both my client and the test host I'm trying to connect to. I also updated the host file on my machine and the host and verified that I can ping the fqdn of both machines. I did notice that my laptop wasn't registering it's IP on DNS, so editing the host file seemed to have fixed that. The unfortunate thing is that it still doesn't work.
    Tuesday, July 21, 2015 12:04 PM
  • I've, quite literally, started a new blog about this sort of thing.  I know we aren't supposed to do self-promotion, but I've put a blog post about this very subject. The blog is a bit Spartan just now, but it does have this one subject.

It's located at the-ehr.com

The biggest difference I've found from what I've written to the reality of Windows 10 is in the hvremote.wsf use.  It appears that whilst hvremote.wsf works, it throws out an awful lot error messages.

Let me know how you get on

Cheers

Andrew

Cheers! Andrew

Tuesday, July 21, 2015 3:09 PM
  • I've, quite literally, started a new blog about this sort of thing.  I know we aren't supposed to do self-promotion, but I've put a blog post about this very subject. The blog is a bit Spartan just now, but it does have this one subject.

It's located at the-ehr.com

The biggest difference I've found from what I've written to the reality of Windows 10 is in the hvremote.wsf use.  It appears that whilst hvremote.wsf works, it throws out an awful lot error messages.

Let me know how you get on

Cheers

Andrew

Cheers! Andrew

Thanks Andrew! I was able to use your info regarding PowerShell remoting, but the rest didn't really help in regards to using Hyper-V Manager. Btw, I'm currently running in a domain environment, not a workgroup. Also, to be clear, Hyper-V Manager used to work just fine from my machine when I was running Windows 8.1, before upgrading to Windows 10.

Tuesday, July 21, 2015 4:37 PM
  • Aye, just run into this myself. Win10 /hyper-v in a domain should run fine. The bit I've found to be careful of is to make sure the hyper-v host should have a local administrator and an account in AD, specifically for Hyper-V. Have fun!:D Cheers Andrew

Cheers! Andrew

Tuesday, July 21, 2015 4:42 PM
  • So I've tried multiple things. Again this worked when my client was Windows 8.1. So I've made my domain user account a local administrator account on the hosts that I'm testing with. This is the account that I log onto my client with. So I'm launching Hyper-V Manager as administrator and then trying to connect to the Hyper-V host. I've also tried using my domain admin account from my client by launching the Hyper-V Manager using a Runas account.

Tuesday, July 21, 2015 5:10 PM
  • Historically the version of the management tools must match the release of the target system being managed.

I am curious where you got the impression that Windows 10 Hyper-V Manager can manage Windows 8.1 / 2012 R2 Hyper-V.

From a namespace standpoint it should work, but there will be some features that don't align.  Since the Hyper-V Manager is all about using WMI and the virtualization namespace.

There are other management consoles that still used dcom, but Hyper-V is not one.

In regards to the hvremote script.  That was technically deprecated with 2012 R2 when Hyper-V moved away from using Authorization Manager.  Yes, it could still work, but it is no longer the basis for authorizing actions to users.

Brian Ehlert
    http://ITProctology.blogspot.com
    Learn. Apply. Repeat.

• Proposed as answer by Andrew_Grant Wednesday, July 22, 2015 11:19 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by Christopher Brown Wednesday, July 22, 2015 11:59 AM
    Tuesday, July 21, 2015 7:31 PM
  • Quite true.  However, I find that using hvremote for managing access is still a reasonably quick solution for 'quick and dirty' labs - ones that will destroyed within an hour or so of their creation.   

However, I will bear in mind what you say! and move away from hvremote, etc... ;D

Cheers! Andrew

Tuesday, July 21, 2015 8:23 PM
  • Taking Brian Ehlert's advice, have a look at this post by Darren Mar-elia:

http://windowsitpro.com/powershell/powershell-basics-remote-management

Just tried it and it works perfectly!

Cheers! Andrew

Tuesday, July 21, 2015 8:36 PM
  • Thanks to Andrew, I'm now successfully doing PowerShell Remoting, but I would still like to use Hyper-V Manager for Console Access, etc.

Btw, here is the link that talks about the latest Hyper-V Manager being capable of managing down-level Hyper-V Server OS's, specifically 2012 and 2012R2. I've tried using the alternate credential method, but that is meant to only connect to the next version of Hyper-V Hosts.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dn765471.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396#BKMK_Mgmt

Tuesday, July 21, 2015 8:55 PM
  • Having same issue on all builds of Windows 10 up to now build 10240. Strange thing is I can connect and manage one of my Server 2012 Hyper-V installs and not the other two. When I elevated the Hyper-V Manager in Windows 10 as administrator I get an error message on those two nothing "Hyper-V not installed on "HOST"" message.

No changes since running Windows 8.1 to manage these no issues, something to do with Windows 10 changes.

Tuesday, July 21, 2015 9:54 PM
  • Having same issue on all builds of Windows 10 up to now build 10240. Strange thing is I can connect and manage one of my Server 2012 Hyper-V installs and not the other two. When I elevated the Hyper-V Manager in Windows 10 as administrator I get an error message on those two nothing "Hyper-V not installed on "HOST"" message.

No changes since running Windows 8.1 to manage these no issues, something to do with Windows 10 changes.

So it sounds like you were actually able to manage 1 of your 2012 hosts with Windows 10 Hyper-V Manager?  Is your Hyper-V manager and host on the same network? I'm trying over VPN and through firewalls. But like I said previously it was working with my Windows 8.1 client. So it has to be something wrong with Windows 10.
    Wednesday, July 22, 2015 11:57 AM
  • Hi Christopher Brown,

Since the Windows 10 not release official, we can get the following information when you use RSAT to manage servers.

Remote Server Administration Tools for Windows 10 Technical Preview

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=44280

The following management tools are not available in this release of Remote Server Administration Tools. •BitLocker Drive Encryption administration utilities

•Direct Access

•Routing and Remote Access

•Remote Desktop Services

•Windows PowerShell cmdlets for Cluster Aware Updating

•Windows PowerShell cmdlets for Best Practices Analyzer

Remote Server Administration Tools for Windows 10 Technical Preview (January 2015)

Remote Server Administration Tools for Windows 10 Technical Preview can be used to manage roles and features that are running on Windows Server Technical Preview, with the following exceptions: •DNS Tools. DNS Tools in this release of RSAT offer limited functionality managing DNS Server running on Windows Server Technical Preview. Use DNS Tools to manage DNS Server running on Windows Server 2012 R2 and Windows Server 2012.

•IP Address Management (IPAM) Tools. You cannot use IPAM Tools in this release of RSAT to manage IPAM running on Windows Server Technical Preview. Use IPAM Tools in this release of RSAT to manage IPAM running on Windows Server 2012 R2 and Windows Server 2012.

Remote Server Administration Tools for Windows 10 Technical Preview (January 2015)

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=45520

More information:

Using Windows 10 Hyper-V Manager to Manage Hyper-V Server 2012R2 Hosts

http://blogs.technet.com/b/canitpro/archive/2015/02/12/step-by-step-managing-windows-server-2012-r2-via-windows-10.aspx

I’m glad to be of help to you!

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Friday, July 24, 2015 7:11 AM
  • Hi Christopher Brown,

Since the Windows 10 not release official, we can get the following information when you use RSAT to manage servers.

Remote Server Administration Tools for Windows 10 Technical Preview

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=44280

The following management tools are not available in this release of Remote Server Administration Tools. •BitLocker Drive Encryption administration utilities

•Direct Access

•Routing and Remote Access

•Remote Desktop Services

•Windows PowerShell cmdlets for Cluster Aware Updating

•Windows PowerShell cmdlets for Best Practices Analyzer

Remote Server Administration Tools for Windows 10 Technical Preview can be used to manage roles and features that are running on Windows Server Technical Preview, with the following exceptions: •DNS Tools. DNS Tools in this release of RSAT offer limited functionality managing DNS Server running on Windows Server Technical Preview. Use DNS Tools to manage DNS Server running on Windows Server 2012 R2 and Windows Server 2012.

•IP Address Management (IPAM) Tools. You cannot use IPAM Tools in this release of RSAT to manage IPAM running on Windows Server Technical Preview. Use IPAM Tools in this release of RSAT to manage IPAM running on Windows Server 2012 R2 and Windows Server 2012.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=45520

More information:

Using Windows 10 Hyper-V Manager to Manage Hyper-V Server 2012R2 Hosts

http://blogs.technet.com/b/canitpro/archive/2015/02/12/step-by-step-managing-windows-server-2012-r2-via-windows-10.aspx

I’m glad to be of help to you!

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

I was excited when I saw your response, then I was disappointed when I couldn't download the RSAT Tools on my 10240 build. I can't believe that RSAT isn't available for the RTM build.
    Friday, July 24, 2015 1:40 PM
  • Hi all,

I would like to add my voice to this thread... I am also using the RTM version of Windows 10 and cannot use Hyper-V Manager to connect to a Windows 2012 R2 Hyper-V Server Core installation.

Like the OP, I had a working system with Windows 8.1 on the client and did several in place upgrades through the Windows 10 Tech Preview.

My Windows 8.1 client used a local account only prior to joining the tech preview and I recall that that account continued to be able to manage Hyper-V remotely in the early days of the Tech Preview. After a period I changed that account to use my Microsoft ID and this is probably where things broke. Clearly, I am now using a newly created local account on Windows 10 to try and re-achieve a working connection since the MS account is not valid for remote admin. Incidentally, the 'connect as' feature of Hyper-V Manager doesn't work but I have read that this is not supported on any released edition of Hyper-V [sigh...].

For clarity, I have no problems using Remote Desktop to the Hyper-V box, no problems using the RSAT Tech Preview tools to remotely administer the Hyper-V box (they installed just fine on Windows 10 RTM, BTW) and no problems using the third party ProHVM to administer the Hyper-V box. In fact, ProHVM would solve my problems but doesn't seem to support Generation 2 VMs properly.

Why Microsoft can't make a tool that 'just works', like ProHVM, is beyond me...

Thursday, July 30, 2015 4:03 PM
  • Same here, on Windows 10RTM, using built-in Hyper-V Manager.

Connections to some 2012/2012R2 hosts work and others do not.

Thursday, July 30, 2015 8:20 PM
  • I have this same dilemma in a Domain. "Hyper-V has not been installed on Computer..."  Bunch of rubbish.  Is it to difficult to just have something work for once?  Without reading pages upon pages of other people answering issues (or trying to) for Microsoft's products? 

Like others, Within the Hyper-V Manager, two of our 2012 Server hosts will add but not one of them.  All hosts are installed and setup the same.  I am the domain admin, permissions are correct on the server etc...  It all worked before the upgrade.

And what is this with no RSAT in Windows 10 RTM?  What?

Tuesday, August 4, 2015 5:06 PM
  • RSAT is the Server Manager ported to client.

This release of Windows split the client and server release cycles (again) - so there is a big timing disconnect.

RSAT is also delivered in box in client.  Not as a bolt on.  And was only available for down level clients, not up-level clients which is the root of this thread.

Also, in regards to this particular thread, I have received indication that the root of this issue might be a bug in client ( Win 10 ) at the  moment.  But I didn't get any hard confirmation.

While Client has released, Server has not.  This always exposes warts in a not so great way.

Brian Ehlert
    Learn. Apply. Repeat.

Tuesday, August 4, 2015 5:32 PM
  • I upgraded to Windows 10 Pro and ran into the same issue.

Hyper-V management of a remote Hyper-V server, NOT in a domain, worked just fine on Windows 8, with that dcom trick mentioned here, but it refused to connect from Windows 10.

What I did is to run 2 commands in elevated PowerShell:

winrm quickconfig

The first one started the winrm server on my machine, with an error related to the firewall, like this:

PS C:\Windows\system32> winrm quickconfig
    WinRM is not set up to receive requests on this machine.
    The following changes must be made:
    Start the WinRM service.
    Set the WinRM service type to delayed auto start.
    Make these changes [y/n]? y
    WinRM has been updated to receive requests.
    WinRM service type changed successfully.
    WinRM service started.
    WSManFault
                WSManFault
                    Message = WinRM firewall exception will not work since one of the network connection types on this machine is set to Public. Change the network connection type to either Domain or Private and try again.
    Error number:  -2144108183 0x80338169
    WinRM firewall exception will not work since one of the network connection types on this machine is set to Public. Change the network connection type to either Domain or Private and try again.

I do not need the firewall exception since I do not intend to manage my machine remotely.

I ran then the second command and added the remote server to the list of trusted hosts.

AND IT WORKS!!!

The DCOM trick is also needed. I disabled the anonymous permission and it stopped working.

Thursday, August 6, 2015 1:24 PM
  • After further testing, I noticed that WinRM service isn't even needed for the connection to work. It is needed only to add the trusted host (the second command in my previous reply).

So the sequence would be (in elevated powershell):

Start-Service WinRM

Stop-Service WinRM

Thursday, August 6, 2015 2:11 PM
  • It works but if Hyper-V is on a different machine, you can not view disk resources on Hyper-V. Therefore, the lack of export opportunities VM, establish a new drive Am also a new VM
    Thursday, August 6, 2015 2:51 PM
  • It is my understanding from the product team that they have identified a couple possible issues around this and a fix is in the works.

Some resolutions can be found in this other thread:

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsserver/en-US/1cc9115d-5fce-4a64-a90f-d3fdc008b861/windows-10-build-10240-managing-hyperv-on-2012-r2-datacenter-cannot-connect?forum=winserverhyperv

Brian Ehlert
    Learn. Apply. Repeat.

Thursday, August 6, 2015 3:10 PM
  • I just tested and I can create a new VM, I can see the drives from the server. I can create new virtual drives, export machines, etc.

Friday, August 7, 2015 8:49 AM
  • Are you still having issues managing Hyper-V hosts from Windows 10?  I just upgraded and I am seeing the same problems as mentioned in this thread, and I am disappointed that I haven't been able to find a concrete solution besides rolling back to Windows 8.1. 
    Friday, August 21, 2015 1:23 PM
  • Applied all the config above.... but in vain... I installed the RSAT for Windows 10. 

Still ... some Windows 2012 R2 hyper-v works.. but some do not!

Would Microsoft pay more attentions to compatibility issue?  It is really frustrating!

Thursday, August 27, 2015 2:18 AM
  • Same issues here but more of a worry is that Remote Desktop Services doesn't show our collections, hence, we cannot manage our vdi environment, same for other colleagues here on windows 10 with rsat. I was initially impressed with Windows 10 but over time I find it too buggy and lacks control from the user and don't get me started on privacy. Rolled back to Windows 8.1 so I can do my job!
    Thursday, August 27, 2015 8:52 AM
  • Removing and adding back the Hyper-V role on the inaccessible servers allows for them to be managed with the Windows 10 Hyper-V manager.  Cluster Admin console can still not perform Hyper-V management tasks however.
    Wednesday, October 7, 2015 12:38 PM
  • Thank you soooo much.  i have been pulling my hair out for 2 days and this fixed my issue!!!
    Wednesday, January 6, 2016 1:35 AM
  • The latest version the RSAT tools and windows 10 also allow for the cluster admin console to completely manage Hyper-V clusters.
    Wednesday, January 6, 2016 1:51 AM
  • And where would these new tools be located at?  Thomas

Monday, January 18, 2016 10:27 PM
  • https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=45520
    Monday, January 18, 2016 10:36 PM
  • In the spirit of 'give a man a fish, feed him for a day.  teach a man to fish, feed him for a lifetime.'  this URL will show you how you can answer a question like yours on your own - http://letmebingthatforyou.com/?q=Windows%2010%20RSAT%20download

. : | : . : | : . tim

Tuesday, January 19, 2016 1:53 PM
  • It not work. 
    I received a msg like this: 
    "This version of the Hyper-V Management Tools cannot be used to manage servers running Windows Server 2012 or Windows Server 2012 R2 as another user."

Client: Windows 10 Pro.
    Server: Hyper-V Server 2012 R2
    Sunday, January 31, 2016 11:04 AM
  • Just found an article from Microsoft which fixed all my problems from connecting remotely from Windows 10 to Windows 10 Hyper-V server both without a domain.

Article to enable remote connection for Hyper-V

• Edited by Michaelvsk Sunday, October 16, 2016 4:26 PM
    Sunday, October 16, 2016 4:25 PM
  • Thank you for pointing this great article out, it solved all my issues as well.
    Wednesday, April 5, 2017 4:35 AM
  • hi. this link unfortunately doesn't work :(
    Monday, April 24, 2017 8:34 PM
  • My setup is Window 10 Pro and Hyper-V 2016 both not on a domain. Also, I do not have a DNS server. This is what I have done by following what I could find online:

1. Add server ip name to the host files. (need to open notepad in elevated mode first )

2. You can create a key mapping for you server name using the fooling command (this is optional):
    cmdkey /add:serverName /user:serverName\USER /pass

3. As Andrei VR posted:

Start-Service WinRM

winrm set winrm/config/client '@{TrustedHosts="serverName"}'

Stop-Service WinRM

where serverName is the name of you Hyper-V serever and USER is the user I setup on a Hyper-V server as local admin. with sconfig.cmd (menu 4)

After all that, I could connect to my Hyper-V server from the Hyper-V manage just using Hyper-V server name.

• Edited by -_-alex-_- Wednesday, July 19, 2017 3:29 AM
    Wednesday, July 19, 2017 3:28 AM
  • I upgraded to Windows 10 Pro and ran into the same issue.

Hyper-V management of a remote Hyper-V server, NOT in a domain, worked just fine on Windows 8, with that dcom trick mentioned here, but it refused to connect from Windows 10.

What I did is to run 2 commands in elevated PowerShell:

winrm quickconfig

The first one started the winrm server on my machine, with an error related to the firewall, like this:

PS C:\Windows\system32> winrm quickconfig
    WinRM is not set up to receive requests on this machine.
    The following changes must be made:
    Start the WinRM service.
    Set the WinRM service type to delayed auto start.
    Make these changes [y/n]? y
    WinRM has been updated to receive requests.
    WinRM service type changed successfully.
    WinRM service started.
    WSManFault
                WSManFault
                    Message = WinRM firewall exception will not work since one of the network connection types on this machine is set to Public. Change the network connection type to either Domain or Private and try again.
    Error number:  -2144108183 0x80338169
    WinRM firewall exception will not work since one of the network connection types on this machine is set to Public. Change the network connection type to either Domain or Private and try again.

I do not need the firewall exception since I do not intend to manage my machine remotely.

I ran then the second command and added the remote server to the list of trusted hosts.

AND IT WORKS!!!

The DCOM trick is also needed. I disabled the anonymous permission and it stopped working.

OMG! Sorry to restart the thread after all this time, but thankyou. I have literally been trying for days and dredging through countless posts and settings, powershell commands and policies, etc... nothing would get HVM to connect. This finally did it (the second command). It really shouldn't be this hard...
    Thursday, January 17, 2019 12:32 AM