none
Server 2012 - task manager shows "there are no running apps"

Question

• Windows server 2012 R2.

When I log on as a member of the local Administrators group and open Task Manager, it just gives me a blank window with the text "There are no running apps".  If I log on as another admin, Task Manager is exactly as expected

Thursday, May 10, 2018 6:19 PM

Answers

• I stumbled across the solution.  In the lower-left corner of the Task Manager window, there is a switch for "more|fewer details".  When my Task Manager launched and said "no tasks", the switch was "More Details".  I clicked it and voila!, there was the task listing.  With "fewer details" it only shows foreground tasks, and if there are none, there are "no tasks".
    • Marked as answer by edstevensdba Thursday, May 17, 2018 1:18 PM
    Thursday, May 17, 2018 1:18 PM

All replies

• Ir rebooting doesn't help I'd try creating a new account and logon as new user for a test.

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows Server] Datacenter Management

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

Thursday, May 10, 2018 6:54 PM
  • Thanks.  I had just rebooted a bit earlier to address a different issue.  I seldom have reason to start task manager so cannot say if this is a new issue or just a newly discovered issue.  This is a production db server, and its test counterpart, on which I log on with the same domain account, does not show this issue. 

I only work part-time (semi-retired) and am on the verge of being called away for a family emergency, so don't worry if it takes a few days (or more) for me to follow up.  Will try the 'new account' approach as soon as I can.

Thursday, May 10, 2018 9:20 PM
  • Sounds good then.

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows Server] Datacenter Management

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

Thursday, May 10, 2018 9:42 PM
  • Hi,

In addition, when you are in such scenario, you could also try run DISM to Repair Windows Image

Please use system file scanner to troubleshoot the server if there’s any error with the system file. Type sfc/scannow in the command.

And the blank Task Manager issue might be due to a software conflict. Please keep monitor the service performance of your server.

Best Regards,

Mary

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, May 11, 2018 7:47 AM
  • I stumbled across the solution.  In the lower-left corner of the Task Manager window, there is a switch for "more|fewer details".  When my Task Manager launched and said "no tasks", the switch was "More Details".  I clicked it and voila!, there was the task listing.  With "fewer details" it only shows foreground tasks, and if there are none, there are "no tasks".
    • Marked as answer by edstevensdba Thursday, May 17, 2018 1:18 PM
    Thursday, May 17, 2018 1:18 PM