When do we use Correlation? RRS feed

• Question

• Can someone explain a scenario where you use Correlation?

Christiane

Monday, June 3, 2013 4:58 PM

Answers

• Correlation is used to correlate incoming messages with already running instance of orchestration which is currently in dehydrated state.

For Eg. In Employee leave management system, if we are sending message to HR Dept and it is taking long time to process, orchestration engine will dehydrate the current orchestration instance and When message sent to HR Dept will come back, message will be routed to already running orchestration which is in dehydrated state by matching EmployeeID.

Here messages are correlated  based on EmployeeID.

I hope this will help.

Pooja Jagtap Software Engineer KPIT Cummins

Monday, June 3, 2013 5:16 PM
  • Here's the Documentation

See this Sample

Monday, June 3, 2013 5:28 PM
  • Correlation is used for identify a group of messages based on some field that uniquely identify that group.

For example: If you have to communicate with a service that accepts an order with OrderID, sends back an order received ACK synchronously and later in the process push different types of order statuses along with OrderID.

In this case you should make a correlation set on OrderID as this ID will be part of every request/response/status updates. This OrderID will help you in finding out which status is related to which OrderID.

I hope I didnt confuse you.

---------------------------------------------

Please mark as answer if resolves your concern.

Monday, June 3, 2013 6:08 PM

All replies

• Correlation is used to correlate incoming messages with already running instance of orchestration which is currently in dehydrated state.

For Eg. In Employee leave management system, if we are sending message to HR Dept and it is taking long time to process, orchestration engine will dehydrate the current orchestration instance and When message sent to HR Dept will come back, message will be routed to already running orchestration which is in dehydrated state by matching EmployeeID.

Here messages are correlated  based on EmployeeID.

I hope this will help.

Pooja Jagtap Software Engineer KPIT Cummins

Monday, June 3, 2013 5:16 PM
  • Here's the Documentation

See this Sample

Monday, June 3, 2013 5:28 PM
  • Correlation is used for identify a group of messages based on some field that uniquely identify that group.

For example: If you have to communicate with a service that accepts an order with OrderID, sends back an order received ACK synchronously and later in the process push different types of order statuses along with OrderID.

In this case you should make a correlation set on OrderID as this ID will be part of every request/response/status updates. This OrderID will help you in finding out which status is related to which OrderID.

I hope I didnt confuse you.

---------------------------------------------

Please mark as answer if resolves your concern.

Monday, June 3, 2013 6:08 PM