Restore Computer to 8.1 RRS feed

• Question

• I just recently downloaded the free 10 and I don't care for it and want my Windows 8.1 back. How can I restore computer to prior installation?

please email me at tkeXX@XXXX.com

Thank you.

Teresa Miller

• Edited by Michael_LS Wednesday, December 2, 2015 9:24 AM Remove personal info
    Tuesday, December 1, 2015 12:31 AM

Answers

• If it's been less than a month since you've upgraded to Windows 10, you'll be able to go back to your previous version of Windows from Settings > Update & security > Recovery.

• If your PC  manufacturer provided the option, you might be able to restore your device to factory settings.

• If options to go back and restore factory settings aren’t available, you can use installation media and a product key to install a previous version of Windows.

• Note

• If the manufacturer set up your PC to run from a compressed Windows image file (also known as Windows image file boot or WIMBoot) and included the option to restore factory settings, that option will no longer be available after you upgrade to Windows 10.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/windows-10-recovery-options

S.Sengupta, Windows Experience MVP

• Proposed as answer by Michael_LS Wednesday, December 2, 2015 9:24 AM
    • Marked as answer by Deason Wu Friday, December 25, 2015 7:00 AM
    Tuesday, December 1, 2015 12:44 AM
  • I just recently downloaded the free 10 and I don't care for it and want my Windows 8.1 back. How can I restore computer to prior installation?

please email me at tkelekam@aol.com

Thank you.

Teresa Miller

On 2 conditions..............

1. You installed Windows 10 LESS than 30 days ago.

2. You have NOT deleted the windows.old from the system.

If the above 2 conditions are met, you can do this :

Click Start button > left side, click Settings > click Update & Security > left side, click Recovery > right side, under Go Back to Windows 8.1, click the Get Started button.

• Edited by david hk129 Tuesday, December 1, 2015 1:26 AM
    Tuesday, December 1, 2015 1:26 AM

All replies

• If it's been less than a month since you've upgraded to Windows 10, you'll be able to go back to your previous version of Windows from Settings > Update & security > Recovery.

• If your PC  manufacturer provided the option, you might be able to restore your device to factory settings.

• If options to go back and restore factory settings aren’t available, you can use installation media and a product key to install a previous version of Windows.

• Note

• If the manufacturer set up your PC to run from a compressed Windows image file (also known as Windows image file boot or WIMBoot) and included the option to restore factory settings, that option will no longer be available after you upgrade to Windows 10.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/windows-10-recovery-options

S.Sengupta, Windows Experience MVP

Tuesday, December 1, 2015 12:44 AM

please email me at tkelekam@aol.com

Thank you.

Teresa Miller

On 2 conditions..............

1. You installed Windows 10 LESS than 30 days ago.

2. You have NOT deleted the windows.old from the system.

If the above 2 conditions are met, you can do this :

Click Start button > left side, click Settings > click Update & Security > left side, click Recovery > right side, under Go Back to Windows 8.1, click the Get Started button.

• Edited by david hk129 Tuesday, December 1, 2015 1:26 AM
    Tuesday, December 1, 2015 1:26 AM
  • Hi Teresa,

What is your current situation?

If any further help needed, please feel free to post back.

Regards

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, December 10, 2015 9:02 AM