DFS and strange problem with NTFS permissions on files RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

I have a strange problem with NTFS permissions on a file server with DFS service.
    This is windows 2012 which sharesfewdirectory by the DFS Namespace service (that directorys don't use dfs replication).
    On that server is a directory which has a set of permissions including domain users -> read only. In this directory is a file to which I want to add a Full Control permission for a specific user.

This Full control right works fine until the first writeof that file by that specified user. After that user save the file, permission for that user disappears , and that user becomes the owner of the file (i don't know why, because that user only save the file).

Such a situation does not occur in the case of rights to directories .

Does anyone have an idea how to solve this problem so that I can add permissions to files and not only to directories?

Friday, October 21, 2016 11:14 AM

Answers

• Bet you are talking about Excel file. DFS has nothing to do with it.

When Excel saves file, it actually creates a new one, remove the old one, and then do rename. So when you 'just save' you create NEW file (owner now) and generic folder permissions apply to this NEW file.

You can't do specific permissions to individual excel files in a folder.

• Proposed as answer by Mary Dong Wednesday, November 9, 2016 8:53 AM
    • Marked as answer by dev246 Wednesday, November 9, 2016 8:55 AM
    Monday, October 24, 2016 7:16 AM

All replies

• Hi dev246,

Thanks for your post.

If possible could you please post the screenshot for your issue? (files and the security settings)

And does it only happen to this file? What about other types of files? Could you please also test "text file", "word files", "excel files", all the results same?

And could you please use administrator take ownership of the file and check again.

Best Regards,

Mary

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, October 24, 2016 3:08 AM
  • Bet you are talking about Excel file. DFS has nothing to do with it.

When Excel saves file, it actually creates a new one, remove the old one, and then do rename. So when you 'just save' you create NEW file (owner now) and generic folder permissions apply to this NEW file.

You can't do specific permissions to individual excel files in a folder.

• Proposed as answer by Mary Dong Wednesday, November 9, 2016 8:53 AM
    • Marked as answer by dev246 Wednesday, November 9, 2016 8:55 AM
    Monday, October 24, 2016 7:16 AM