none
SharePoint 2013 - Effect of Community features and assets within Publishing site

Question

• Hello and thanks in advance!

I've read a few discussions here and I was able to activate the Community Settings in a Publishing subsite. I also activated the subsite template for the Community which I used to create one. So now I have 2 subsites that I did a test with. I know the Community features OOB work.

Since I'm working with a Publishing portal, I tried playing with the Publishing subsite to test how adding Community assets/features behave inside. I basically opened an existing Community Site Page Home to look at the parts inside and added the required parts in a new Publishing Page. This is to recreate the Community home page in a publishing site. Most parts in, I got to the point where I was playing with the Discussion List and posting my replies when the site page crashed. I did a restore from version history and it did not help. Basically had to abandon as the page is non-recoverable.

What could have caused this? Is it a good idea to add community web parts to a publishing site? What are the potential issues had the site page not crashed - likelihood of crashing in the future?

I noticed that because we have a right hand side (RHS) Navigation as part of our Master Page, activating the Community features created a default group of Site Pages. One of these is the Community Home Page which has its own RHS Nav so the result is that we now have 2 RHS.
    • Edited by get3rrd0ne Tuesday, May 02, 2017 9:37 PM update
    Tuesday, May 02, 2017 9:23 PM

Answers

• Thanks Wendy: I've already done what you mentioned including checking all the Site Pages and then adding the community parts on a Publishing site page. Because we have a Master Page, for some reason just adding the community web parts on a Publishing site page created issues like I cannot edit the web part or even change the layout. Prior to these, I did create a Community subsite and tested all the web parts including adding Discussion posts with the replies and reputation settings working. However, since this is outside our Master Page, the look and feel is way different from the Publishing site.

Update just now: I finally got the Community parts working on a Publishing site page after I renamed the Community pages back to their original (Community Home, Members, Category, etc.)

Lesson Learned: Do not rename the files in Site Pages as these and the Community web parts have some dependency (calling URLs, for example).

Wednesday, May 03, 2017 4:41 PM

All replies

• Hi,

From your description, when you recreated a community home page in a publishing site, the page crashed. Is it right?

Did you find the reason for this issue? And is the reason the custom right hand navigation as part of your master page?

I created a publishing portal site collection and activated the Site Collection feature "SharePoint Server Standard Site Collection features", then add Community site template into subsite templates. Then create a Community subsite and Publishing subsite. The Community subsite could work well.

Open the Publishing subsite and check the Community Home page of Site Pages, it worked well.

Create a new publishing page on the publishing subsite, and added some web parts like these web parts within the existing Community Home page, saved the page. I could create a discussion on the page and open the discussion to reply.

Thanks,

Wendy

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Wednesday, May 03, 2017 6:45 AM
  • Thanks Wendy: I've already done what you mentioned including checking all the Site Pages and then adding the community parts on a Publishing site page. Because we have a Master Page, for some reason just adding the community web parts on a Publishing site page created issues like I cannot edit the web part or even change the layout. Prior to these, I did create a Community subsite and tested all the web parts including adding Discussion posts with the replies and reputation settings working. However, since this is outside our Master Page, the look and feel is way different from the Publishing site.

Update just now: I finally got the Community parts working on a Publishing site page after I renamed the Community pages back to their original (Community Home, Members, Category, etc.)

Lesson Learned: Do not rename the files in Site Pages as these and the Community web parts have some dependency (calling URLs, for example).

Wednesday, May 03, 2017 4:41 PM
  • Hi,

As this is a new question, I would suggest you post it in a new thread, it would make others easier to focus on one question in one single thread and it will benefit other community members who stuck with the same question.

Best Regards,

Wendy

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Tuesday, May 09, 2017 8:20 AM