blue screen upon startup RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, I've had no joy in getting through to Microsoft about this online because they require an obscure key that I dont seem to have amongst other hurdles. 

However, I can't find a thread with this problem. the other night my computer installed updates before it shut itself down. The next day i started it up and after the windows logo and a loading indicator it went straight to a prolonged static blue blank screen. i cannot get out of this. ive now countless times shut down and restarted with no effect. I cannot even access BIOS or when i press either Del or F11 nothing happens. So basically im stuck. 

Any help would be great :D 

P.S. my PC is a custom build that has until this occurred worked exceptionally well. there is no hardware reason i can think of to cause this, it would seem to be related to microsoft updating itself. 

Friday, April 11, 2014 1:44 PM

Answers

• Hi,

The key to access BIOS would depend on the different manufacturer, you may check this.

Back to our issue, if we cannot access BIOS indeed, this should be related hardware setting, can you boot from an installation CD?

Alex Zhao
    TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by Karen Hu Wednesday, April 23, 2014 1:50 AM
    Monday, April 14, 2014 8:19 AM

All replies

• I assume this is a third party issue.

• Can you please restart computer in safe mode and check if the blue screen is coming up? If not, there might be an issue with 3rd party softwares or any of the driver files.
    • Also try disabling Display adapters by going to Device Manager. Check if that helps.

Please update the results.

• Edited by Anup Raman Friday, April 11, 2014 4:21 PM modify
    Friday, April 11, 2014 2:10 PM
  • thanks for the reply, however thats my problem i can start the compute up but i get a blue screen and the computer does not respond. i cannot access any files drivers or anything. i cannot login to my desktop. it starts up and before my login screen appears the computer becomes stuck on just a figure-less blue screen.

Friday, April 11, 2014 3:52 PM
  • My apologies. My mistake. Didn’t think about not able to go to BIOS or Del or F11.

Looks like a hardware issue.

Will you be able to open up CPU. Remove the RAM, re-insert it properly. Take out the BIOS battery and put it back and then boot up. Basically, I am looking to reset settings.

Friday, April 11, 2014 4:28 PM
  • Im not too sure about that, i want to exhaust every other option before looking at hardware, I'll phone microsoft see if they come up with any magic. thanks again. :D 
    Saturday, April 12, 2014 3:38 PM
  • Hi,

The key to access BIOS would depend on the different manufacturer, you may check this.

Back to our issue, if we cannot access BIOS indeed, this should be related hardware setting, can you boot from an installation CD?

Alex Zhao
    TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by Karen Hu Wednesday, April 23, 2014 1:50 AM
    Monday, April 14, 2014 8:19 AM