one link opens in minimized window RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

the client application has a library with a links. Some of them open in the client interface but most of them in IE.

There is a problem with one Link that actually opens IE but the window is minimized right after opening.

I need to demystify this...

The difference between opened browser window and minimized (after maximizing it) is:

Opened normally browser is the window with address bar and buttons (just full browser).

Opened in minimized mode is "locked" to not have all the above features. Just has Internet Explorer name in window frame.

The app that I am using is a Virtual Package. I saw one example where the same app is installed locally (not virtualized) opens the link that is minimized in my case normally. I would check closely both cases.

The IE versions are different in my example. Mine is IE8 other was 10.

Personally, I don't think that virtualized app may have any impact. The app calls local IE.

I am not an expert in HTML codding, but I believe there is something in page creation that push the window to minimize.

What it could be? Why the page minimized and why the window that is minimized is "locked"?

Thanks.

--- When you hit a wrong note its the next note that makes it good or bad. --- Miles Davis

Monday, January 19, 2015 12:19 AM

Answers

• Theoretically, it's kind of missing "always on top" option.

Or as I mentioned a kind of open in background tab effect.  Did you try opening it in the reverse scenario using that hypothesis?  A related change that you could try is in your Tab Settings to have all windows open in new tabs.  Then see if you can open the link in either a background or foreground tab by using either Ctrl-Click or Ctrl-Shift-Click.

Good luck

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

• Proposed as answer by Michael_LS Tuesday, January 27, 2015 7:34 AM
    • Marked as answer by Cloud_TS Friday, February 6, 2015 3:17 AM
    Tuesday, January 20, 2015 8:19 PM
    Answerer
  • Hi pob579,

If you suspect the issue is related with the coding on that link, you may check that using F12 developer tools:

Debugging and Tuning Web Sites and Apps with F12 Developer Tools in IE11

And if you are not familiar with the coding, you may consider ask at some developer forum for further help.

Best regards

Michael Shao
    TechNet Community Support

Thursday, January 22, 2015 9:36 AM

All replies

• Opened in minimized mode is "locked" to not have all the above features. Just has Internet Explorer name in window frame.

Please clarify what you mean by "minimized".  Sounds like you may be describing a normal mode window that has some strange properties, perhaps because it is small. 

E.g. the first thing that I thought of when I saw your title is:  window open, off screen, since many users don't think to look at the Taskbar thumbnail's right-click menu to infer the state of their windows.  Only if they see Minimized greyed out in the menu should they call their window "minimized".  Is that your case before you "Maximized" it?  And did you Maximize it or just Restore it?  Again, please consider the inferences available by considering the window's state as given by its right-click menu.

Also here, where you are indicating that you actually see only a window title bar but nothing else means it is a custom created window.  I thought we were always supposed to see at least an Address bar when this was done but perhaps you have some software which has been able to work around that restriction.  It was added when it was possible to create "chromeless" windows which were not in Fullscreen mode and malicious sites were creating fake dialogs with such functionality.  In any case when such techniques were used it used to be possible to clone the window with Ctrl-N and then that copy would have the content in a window with more normal controls.  So, see if you can clone the content of your "locked" window by pressing  Ctrl-N.

HTH

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Monday, January 19, 2015 5:54 PM
    Answerer
  • After further verification:

when click the link (problematic one), IE icon appears on the task bar.

I called it minimized. And then to open the window the user has to click on icon.

I found that the window actually is opened after clicking on the link.

I moved the opened application window from which the link was called and "found" the opened by link window opened. So it does open but "behind" the application window.

Theoretically, it's kind of missing "always on top" option.

As mentioned earlier, it is the only link that has this behavior.

Any suggestion? Is it related to page codding?

Thanks.

--- When you hit a wrong note its the next note that makes it good or bad. --- Miles Davis

Tuesday, January 20, 2015 1:16 PM
  • Theoretically, it's kind of missing "always on top" option.

Or as I mentioned a kind of open in background tab effect.  Did you try opening it in the reverse scenario using that hypothesis?  A related change that you could try is in your Tab Settings to have all windows open in new tabs.  Then see if you can open the link in either a background or foreground tab by using either Ctrl-Click or Ctrl-Shift-Click.

Good luck

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Tuesday, January 20, 2015 8:19 PM
    Answerer
  • Hi pob579,

If you suspect the issue is related with the coding on that link, you may check that using F12 developer tools:

Debugging and Tuning Web Sites and Apps with F12 Developer Tools in IE11

And if you are not familiar with the coding, you may consider ask at some developer forum for further help.

Best regards

Michael Shao
    TechNet Community Support

Thursday, January 22, 2015 9:36 AM