Windows 7 error, DESPERATE NEED OF HELP RRS feed

• Question

• so before i rule out rootkits, i want to know whats changed my interface so dramatically.

From the beginning, as of a few days ago, my administrative controls have changed on their own, to the point i cant change them if i wanted to, i cant access my task manager cause apparently im not an admin, my shutdown button changed to logging off, before i can shut it down.

I checked my account settings, and im set for admin, i made a new account to try different angles, and it worked, i just want an answer

Tuesday, February 22, 2011 7:57 AM

Answers

• The answer by Niki Han in a parallel thread sounds like a good advice also for your problem:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itproui/thread/0e27ed55-803a-4fa8-b907-534b52ba84a5

• Marked as answer by Vivian Xing Wednesday, March 2, 2011 2:32 AM
    Tuesday, February 22, 2011 4:14 PM
  • Hi,

I suspect the cause is the rootkits. Have you performed a full scanning? What is the result? You can try my previous suggestions from that post.

Generally, after the rootkits being removed, the issue will persist since they have changed the settings or registry.

Best Regards,

Niki

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Thursday, February 24, 2011 8:53 AM

All replies

• The answer by Niki Han in a parallel thread sounds like a good advice also for your problem:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itproui/thread/0e27ed55-803a-4fa8-b907-534b52ba84a5

Tuesday, February 22, 2011 4:14 PM
  • Hi,

I suspect the cause is the rootkits. Have you performed a full scanning? What is the result? You can try my previous suggestions from that post.

Generally, after the rootkits being removed, the issue will persist since they have changed the settings or registry.

Best Regards,

Niki

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Thursday, February 24, 2011 8:53 AM
  • Are we talking about a specific new threat here?  "Rootkits" is of course a general term that's been around a while.

Assume we're not just discussing a generalized theoretical process of taking over one's computer, but an actual malware package, is there a description online somewhere showing what to look for?  I don't have any problem but I always like to keep up with the latest security news, and I haven't heard of such a new threat lately.

FYI, one of the best security measures you can take is to set the Internet Zone not to run anything, and only allow sites in the Trusted Sites list to run software and scripts.  Only trust sites you really do trust.  Then back that up with good antivirus/antimalware software.  You'll have to do without a lot of online glitz but it'll keep you safe.  Install a browser that can't run ActiveX, like Safari, for an occasional visit to a wild site that just doesn't work without scripting, rather than trusting it.

-Noel

Friday, February 25, 2011 5:06 PM