Deployed Software is not recognizes by Vista SP1 Client RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I have the problem that no deployed Software packages is installed on a Windows Client.

It was necessary to do a new installation of my notebook with Windows Vista Ultimate x64 SP1 (Blue Screen by a third party product). So I uninstalled the SCE Agent and cleaned the hard disc. Now after new installation I installed the SCE Agent again. The computer name is the same.

Now I don't get any software packages. For example it should install Office 2007 and some other packages through WSUS technology. In the SCE Console it shows me that no software is needed...

It was working before I do the new installation. At the moment other Clients (XP, Vista, 2k3 Server) gets new software packages.

We use SCE 2007 SP1 in a test environment with several Server and Clients. We use SCE also for Software Deployment of Office 2007, Acrobat and lots of other stuff.

Please for help.
    Wednesday, September 10, 2008 9:00 AM

Answers

• Have you tried changing the machine name of the client in question? SCE tracks software info by name not UID so it will see the application as already successfully installed. If you change the client name, it should install the software in question after which you can change the name back to the desired name that exists today and the machine will continue to get all new software updates and deployments.

HTH,

Tim

Thursday, October 2, 2008 6:51 PM

All replies

• Hi Reisenhofer,

Did you uninstall and reinstall the agent both from SCE console? Is your client shown as "Not yet contacted" in SCE console -> Computer space? Is there any error message in the Event log?

You can try the following command from the client:

wuauclt /ReportNow
    wuauclt /DetectNow

These commands will force the client report its status to SCE server and detect if there are software packages and updates ready on the SCE server.

If the above step doesn't help, please open the log file "%WINDIR%\windowsupdate.log" to see if any error message logged.

Hope it helps.

Thursday, September 11, 2008 9:50 AM
  • Hello,

Thank you for your answer.

Yes, I do the uninstall and reinstall of the agent with the SCE console.

First I found "Not yet contacted", but now I found that the notebook needs no extra Software (see my first post). The last time it sends a report was on Tuesday (equal to the last use of it). Of course it is a little strange, but Windows Updates were succesfully installed through WSUS/SCE.

Yes I tried "wuauclt /reportnow" and "wuauclt /detectnow" before I write my first post.

I will take a look at the windowsupdate.log as fast as possible (hopefully it should be later today) and give you the answer.
    Thursday, September 11, 2008 10:28 AM
  • I took a look at the windowsupdate.log file. There are no error messages.

For some days Microsoft released some Updates through WSUS. This updates were successfully installed on the Windows Vista Client.

Additionally I created a new Software package and deployed it to all Windows Clients. The problem notebook installed it also successfull.

It seams to me, that only packages which was created and deployed for the reinstall don't work.
    Friday, September 12, 2008 10:27 AM
  • Is it possible to clean the SCE/WSUS Software Deployment Log? It seams to me, that SCE didn't delete the logfiles which Software is installed on the client.
    Monday, September 15, 2008 12:26 PM
  • Have you tried changing the machine name of the client in question? SCE tracks software info by name not UID so it will see the application as already successfully installed. If you change the client name, it should install the software in question after which you can change the name back to the desired name that exists today and the machine will continue to get all new software updates and deployments.

HTH,

Tim

Thursday, October 2, 2008 6:51 PM
  • Thank you for the info. Maybe I will try it.
    Wednesday, October 22, 2008 10:48 AM