none
Upgrading Hyper-V 2012 R2 (Stand-alone) to Windows Server 2012 R2 Standard GUI

Question

• Hi Experts,

I am looking forward to upgrade my Hyper-V 2012 R2 to Windows Server 2012 R2. As per my knowledge, we cannot upgrade Hyper-V Stand-alone offering to Windows Server. I am considering different approaches and have no issues bearing downtime. But any approach having zero noticeable downtime will be appreciated too.

I am thinking of different approaches

Approach 1: Live Migrate VMs from one host to Another. Do a clean install of Windows Server 2012 R2 Standard with GUI on Hyper-V Server Physical Host. Migrate back the VMs to the original Host.

Approach 2: Export VMs on another Partition of the Same Host. Example D: Drive. And then do a clean install of Windows Server 2012 R2 on that host. Turn on the New VMs with existing VHDs

Approach 3: Export VMs to an External Disk. Do a clean install of windows server 2012 R2 on that host. Turn on the new VMs with existing VHDs.

My Questions:

Q1: Do we have any better approach approach than the above mentioned?

Q2: Is any of these approaches is 'not recommended'? Are there any challenges?

Q3: What is the best scenario among Approach 2 and 3 if I don't have any other physical host other than the one I am migrating from.

Any kind of help will be appreciated. Documentations, best practices or any kind of Architectural details would help. 

Thanks

This is my Signature

Thursday, March 23, 2017 10:00 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Q1: I suppose approach one is the best.

Q2: Approach 2 and 3 are similar, they are easy to operate but would cause some downtime.

Q3: For the safety of the VM data, you could export VMs to both another partition and external disk.

Best Regards,

Leo 

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by CloudySingh Saturday, March 25, 2017 3:35 PM
    Friday, March 24, 2017 2:52 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Q1: I suppose approach one is the best.

Q2: Approach 2 and 3 are similar, they are easy to operate but would cause some downtime.

Q3: For the safety of the VM data, you could export VMs to both another partition and external disk.

Best Regards,

Leo 

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by CloudySingh Saturday, March 25, 2017 3:35 PM
    Friday, March 24, 2017 2:52 AM
  • Leo, thank you for the information.

This is my Signature

Saturday, March 25, 2017 3:35 PM