Extranet option for an intranet site RRS feed

• Question

• I'm testing at this moment with a SharePoint Foundation 2010 setup on a single server. It is a "farm" setup so i can expand it when needed. Now i have 1 top-site, this is the company's site. In that site I created about 5 sub-sites for each working company in the Holding (the top-site).

Now we have some dealers, those differ for every company under the Holding, so like 2 dealers for company A and 3 dealers for company B. Now those dealers may only have acces to the subsite and to limited documents. How can i achieve this?

So what i want is to make some sub-sites (part of the sub-sites) accessable through an extranet (with login function) for the dealers only. So they get an own login and have to login to see a part of the sub-site, they shouldnt be allowed to see anything else.

What is the best way to do this?

Wednesday, March 16, 2011 2:38 PM

Answers

• HI,

Have you Add a user policy to the web application?

If so, please remvove them, you just need add one user as adminsitrator, and then

grant the access to other users on the single site on Site Level using this admin user, not web application level.

Thanks,

Stanfford

Everything will be fine.
    Tuesday, March 22, 2011 2:35 AM
  • Hi Stanfford,

Thank you very mutch for this information. I thought I needed to add the CLAIMS / FBA users to the policy.

Now i made some groups like: Extranet Site1, Extranet Site 2. I removed the function to take over all the permissions (i can now configure permissions by site / subsite), and now i can give user1 only access to SubSite 1 by adding the group.

• Marked as answer by Stanfford Liu Wednesday, March 23, 2011 12:47 AM
    Tuesday, March 22, 2011 7:39 AM

All replies

• HI,

You can manage permissions on sitecollection, web, list or library and list item or page.

for your issue, you can try to remove thoes users from the permissions list on this documents library.

more inforamtion, please refer to

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc721640.aspx

Thanks,

Stanfford

Everything will be fine.
    Friday, March 18, 2011 5:13 AM
  • Thanks for the heads-up on the permissions.

I was also looking for FBA, i tried to set it up, but i'm getting a message in the event viewer that CLAIMS / FBA was not setup properly, is there a good how-to / information on how to set it up properly? It is an SharePoint Foundation 2010 installation, and i want to publish my intranet site to people outside my LAN. That should be done on base of SQL database where users are managed

Monday, March 21, 2011 7:08 AM
  • Ok i have figured it out with this link:

http://www.sharepointchick.com/archive/2010/05/07/configuring-claims-and-forms-based-authentication-for-use-with-a.aspx

But now i have like 5 test users setup, but i can not give them permissions on the Site itself, they can access the whole site but i only want them to access subsites and only see some libraries.

How can i do this? When i add a Group like Extranet and then add user i cant find the users there?

Monday, March 21, 2011 10:09 AM
  • HI,

Have you Add a user policy to the web application?

If so, please remvove them, you just need add one user as adminsitrator, and then

grant the access to other users on the single site on Site Level using this admin user, not web application level.

Thanks,

Stanfford

Everything will be fine.
    Tuesday, March 22, 2011 2:35 AM
  • Hi Stanfford,

Thank you very mutch for this information. I thought I needed to add the CLAIMS / FBA users to the policy.

Now i made some groups like: Extranet Site1, Extranet Site 2. I removed the function to take over all the permissions (i can now configure permissions by site / subsite), and now i can give user1 only access to SubSite 1 by adding the group.

• Marked as answer by Stanfford Liu Wednesday, March 23, 2011 12:47 AM
    Tuesday, March 22, 2011 7:39 AM