Take Ownership of Services.msc ? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi Folks;

I can't seem to save changes to existing Microsoft Management consoles in Windows 7. Specifically, I'm trying to open services.msc in author mode and save changes. This fails each time and checking the permissions on services.msc shows that only the TrustedInstaller has ownership rights.

If I try to take ownership rights, as the Administrator for the entire network, it won't allow it.

Does anyone know to successfully regain ownership of native MMC concole files in Windows 7?

Thursday, October 6, 2011 11:07 PM

Answers

• I finally found an answer that works. For anyone else having this issue (and it looks like there have been many because Microsoft really screwed the pooch on this one) go to;

C:\Windows\System32\en-us\services.msc and then right-click on it and choose author. Make your changes and then go to File and choose Save.

At that point you should find that it has actually updated the layout to your liking.

If you can't save the file (get an error message) then you probably need to right-click on the file, choose permissions and add your account with Admin access and then take ownership of that file as well.

Did I mention that Microsoft really screwed the pooch on this one?

• Marked as answer by Dave Onex Friday, October 7, 2011 6:58 AM
    Friday, October 7, 2011 3:14 AM

All replies

• Update: I managed to successfully take ownership of services.msc so I can now right-click on the services icon in Administrative tools and open as an author. I can also save my settings in that console. However, the settings revert back to stock when services.msc is opened again.

For the life of me I can't understand why the changes entered under author mode refuse to stick even though they appear to be saved.

Has anyone been able to successfully modify an existing .msc console? If so, how!

Friday, October 7, 2011 12:03 AM
  • I finally found an answer that works. For anyone else having this issue (and it looks like there have been many because Microsoft really screwed the pooch on this one) go to;

C:\Windows\System32\en-us\services.msc and then right-click on it and choose author. Make your changes and then go to File and choose Save.

At that point you should find that it has actually updated the layout to your liking.

If you can't save the file (get an error message) then you probably need to right-click on the file, choose permissions and add your account with Admin access and then take ownership of that file as well.

Did I mention that Microsoft really screwed the pooch on this one?

• Marked as answer by Dave Onex Friday, October 7, 2011 6:58 AM
    Friday, October 7, 2011 3:14 AM
  • Hi,

You have no need to take this MSC file's ownership. You may just add the Snap-in, then save the .msc file to the location where you want to save.

Note: when you save the file, the current windows must be set as Console Root to make that you can view all the snap-in you add.

Regards,
    Juke
    TechNet Subscriber Support in forum
    If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Friday, October 7, 2011 6:50 AM
  • Hi,

You have no need to take this MSC file's ownership. You may just add the Snap-in, then save the .msc file to the location where you want to save.

I didn't want to create a new mmc console - I wanted to modify the existing console (as mentioned above) so this answer doesn't apply.

For those who wish to modify existing Windows 7 consoles - see the post above which I marked as answered :-)

Friday, October 7, 2011 7:21 AM
  • Hi,

If you do not want to save a separate file, you must take the Ownership of this msc file.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Monday, October 10, 2011 7:46 AM
  • Hi,

Note: when you save the file, the current windows must be set as Console Root to make that you can view all the snap-in you add.

Regards,
    Juke
    TechNet Subscriber Support in forum
    If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

the moderators need to read the questions obviously juke should not be answering questions

Tuesday, March 7, 2017 10:01 PM