none
Updating %complete values for non zero duration milestone RRS feed

• Question

• In Project Professional 2010 I created non-zero duration milestones with no resources assigned to it.

I was hoping to update the %complete information for these non-zero duration milestone and observed:

• As soon as I update a value that is less than 100% in %complete column it reverts back to 0%
    • If I enter the same value twice (50% for example) it is then retained in the %complete column

Has anyone else seen a similar behavior?

I understand for zero duration milestones it would make sense to put in 0% or 100%. However, that should not be the case for non-zero duration milestones.

Thanks for your help.

Meeta 

Monday, October 28, 2013 2:11 PM

All replies

• manmeetc --

I cannot duplicate the behavior that you are seeing with milestone tasks that have a Duration value greater than 0 days.  In Microsoft Project Professional 2010, I created a task with a Duration value of 5 days, and then marked it as a milestone.  I then entered a % Complete value of 50% and the value held.  I undid that action, entered a % Complete value of 95% and the value held.  I undid this action, entered a % Complete value of 5% and the value held.  Perhaps your issue has something to do with your level of Service Pack and Cumulative Updates.  What is your current level of SPs and CUs?  Let us know and we will try to help.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Monday, October 28, 2013 2:47 PM
  • Thanks for you reply Dale.

I suspect my client is still on SP1. Would you know if this kind of a issue was fixed in SP2?

Monday, October 28, 2013 3:53 PM
  • manmeetc,

Pardon my jumping in. I have a separate virtual PC with Project 2010 and it is only updated with SP1. With that configuration I do indeed get the same behavior you describe (i.e. % complete values other than 0 or 100 do not "stick" to a non-zero duration task marked as a milestone).

I do not know if this was "fixed" specifically by SP2 but when it comes to Project and service packs, it is always a good idea to install the latest service pack available, although I have read about some weird issues other user have experienced after installing SP2. Nonetheless, I still recommend installing it.

John

Monday, October 28, 2013 5:26 PM
  • manmeetc --

The advice John has given you is sage.  I agree with him that you really need to update your Microsoft Project 2010 to the latest SP and CU.  Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Monday, October 28, 2013 6:06 PM
  • Hi manmeetc --

Regardless of the version of MS Project that you are using and which cumulative updates you have installed, I have to ask this question: Why are you marking a non-zero-duration task as a milestone?

It is not a leading scheduling practice to set non-zero-duration tasks as milestones. In the most basic of terms, a milestone is intended to represent an important event or point of achievement... much like the stones that people placed alongside roads ages ago to indicate how much distance you had traveled. A milestone in a project schedule typically has zero duration, and it is typically depicted as a black diamond on a Gantt Chart timeline. Once you have completed a series of activities and have achieved something significant, you pass through a milestone.

I recommend that you modify your project schedule to include an additional milestone line item, give it a zero-day duration (which automatically sets it as a 'milestone' in MS Project), and link it in series with its predecessors to indicate an important accomplishment has been reached. Once all of its predecessors are completed, you can easily set the milestone progress to 100% to indicate the achievement.

Tracking a separate milestone also has other benefits, such as easier tracking, displaying, and reporting of these important dates in the schedule, as well as a way of separately tracking the approval of a deliverable that was produced from the series of predecessor activities.

Good luck!

-- tz

Tony Zink | Vice President, EPMA | http://www.epmainc.com | Blog: http://www.epmablog.com | Training: http://www.epmainstitute.com

Monday, October 28, 2013 7:21 PM
  • Thanks for your replies everyone. Ill apply SP2 and check if that solves my problem.

Meeta

Monday, October 28, 2013 8:16 PM
  • Meeta,

You're welcome and thanks for the feedback.

I took a quick look at the fixes contained in SP2. This particular item seems relevant:

Milestone tasks with non-zero duration can lose their % complete data when other tasks have their % complete changed and the project plan is published.

John

Monday, October 28, 2013 10:37 PM