none
Is this task possible with Projects 2013? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello All,

This is my first time playing with Microsoft Projects and I can see there's a lot of potential for me to implement it at my current workplace. What I'd like to do is create a project in Projects 2013 and have the project pushed to either sharepoint calendar or directly to outlook 2013 calendar(which is preferred if possible). Once I'm able to get the project created in Projects 2013 in my Outlook 2013 Calendar I'm looking to create alerts and/or meeting for the people in my company to accept and see the project updated in their calendars.

Is this possible? If so how would I do so?

Wednesday, July 30, 2014 3:40 AM

All replies

• With all due respect, I think you would be mis-using Microsoft Project.  It's a tool for managing the data about projects, executing algorithms for computing project schedules, status, etc.  Perhaps the first step would be for you to purchase and read a good book about Microsoft Project to give you a sense of what it does.  Some of the books touch on integration with SharePoint and Outlook, but such integration does not begin to touch on the value of Microsoft Project.

--rms www.rmschneider.com

Wednesday, July 30, 2014 7:40 AM
  • Hi Jon,

Similar question was raised in this thread.

It seems that synchronization between tasks in Project 2013 and Outlook is not possible.

However you can sychronize tasks with mailbox on Exchange when using Project Server 2013. There is an article describing this here.

Hope that helps.

Best,

Mariusz

Wednesday, July 30, 2014 7:42 AM
  • Really? What about this?

http://www.easytasksync.com/

Wednesday, July 30, 2014 8:46 AM
  • Really? What about this?

http://www.easytasksync.com/

Wednesday, July 30, 2014 8:46 AM
  • Before you even think about sharepoint, outlook etc, don't you think you should master some of the basics such as creating and running a simple project plan, critical path method etc?
    Wednesday, July 30, 2014 8:48 AM
  • I would also question the value of tasks pushed to your Outlook Calendar. A 500 task schedule with many tasks 2-10 days long will fill people's calendars and be a nuisance. Alerts will then create spam and no one likes spam, even if it's internal!

Project is not a time management tool. Instead it helps you plan tasks sequences or work packs which your team then needs to time manage, but not with an overflowing calendar!

Rod Gill
    Author of the one and only Project VBA Book
    www.project-systems.co.nz

Thursday, July 31, 2014 9:45 AM
  • First, welcome and thanks for taking a look at Project!

This use case comes up quite a bit. When I was on the product team, it was requested by clients for every release. Show me my tasks on my calendar so that I know what I'm supposed to do when. People live in Outlook and they understand calendars.

Projects represent the latest state of the conversation between all participants so communication and visualization are valid needs. Calendar visualizations are desirable as that's most familiar to most and why Project has a calendar view.

Project can do some type of this for outbound communications but it requires SharePoint and it won't quite get you to what you've outline. Also, you may not Project at all to do this if the SharePoint task list functionality meets your needs.

Essentially, you use Project to create the plan with the dependencies, etc. You then synchronize it with a SharePoint task list. The task list supports a calendar view as well as Outlook integration. That's where the team member could view it in Outlook. You can also simply create the project directly in SharePoint. If you manage it in SharePoint exclusively, you could have team members update there.

A better controlled feedback loop from the team members of a Project for statusing would require Project Server.

Hope this helps,

Treb Gatte, Project MVP | @tumbleroad | http://www.tumbleroad.com

Friday, August 1, 2014 7:00 PM