SharePoint incoming emails sometimes not making it to the document library. SMTP logs have record of recieving the emails. RRS feed

• Question

• I have another odd issue.

For SharePoint 2007, x64, incoming email is configured and working, has been for several years now. 

I have had a user report that some emails are not making it to the document library, but upon re-sending the email, it gets there.

I was able to confirm this with the SMTP logs, see below.  I tried to correlate these times to errors in the evenlog, and nothing seems to match, I was hoping I would find a DB disconnection, but nothing there.

------------------------------------------------------

> 2011-01-17 00:20:42 172.27.4.26 SVR01.corp.com SMTPSVC1
    > ALFMOSWFE03 172.31.105.156 0 MAIL - +FROM:<Lyn_.

00:20:42 Monday January 17, 2011 in GMT converts to
    08:20:42 Monday January 17, 2011 in GMT+8

So it would appear that matches the failed email - 1/17/2011 8:19 am - FAILED to get to sharepoint

> 2011-01-17 05:05:57 172.31.10.199 SVR01.corp.com SMTPSVC1
    > ALFMOSWFE03 172.31.105.156 0 MAIL - +FROM:<Lynell.

05:05:57 Monday January 17, 2011 in GMT converts to
    13:05:57 Monday January 17, 2011 in GMT+8

This one would seem to match the successful email. - 1/17/2011 01:05pm - SUCCESSFUL to sharepoint.

For both emails there was no text in the body of the email, only subject line with an attached xls file. (so the user reports)

One other thing to report is that we are in a dual delivery environment; we have both Google and exchange email systems.  Some users are on Google, and some on exchange.  But being that the email makes it to the server, I would think this is not an issue.

Thanks for any ideas.

------------------------

------------------------

FOLLOWUP:

Changed a setting in the incoming email settings not to overwrite if the document already exists, I think this may be the reason for this issue.

We will see, I will post back if that fixes it.

Joshua Fuente Farm Administrator SharePoint Products & Technologies
    • Edited by Mike Walsh FIN Friday, January 21, 2011 2:54 PM Re-phrasing to give a slightly shorter Title
    • Edited by mossguy Monday, January 24, 2011 4:32 PM more info
    Friday, January 21, 2011 2:47 PM

All replies

• Hi,

According to your description, the problem which you mentioned may be the following reasons:
    First, if your security settings are set to only accept email messages based on list permission, you must have user permission to write content to the list. In addition, it is required that you email from the email address specified in your SharePoint user profile. Content coming from unknown email addresses or users without “contribute” permissions will not be added to the list or library.
    For more information, you can refer to this good blog:
    http://littletalk.wordpress.com/2008/04/23/how-to-enable-incoming-email-to-a-sharepoint-list-or-library

I hope it can help you a little.
    Best regards,
    David Hu

Tuesday, January 25, 2011 2:49 AM
  • Nice to know, but as seen in the log, both emails are from the same user.

Your link was also helpful for instances where the email is being sent by a service account.  It seems that if you filter out service accounts during profile import.  Then it has no profile to verify the FROM address, when it tries to send an email to a library.

Joshua Fuente Farm Administrator SharePoint Products & Technologies
    Wednesday, January 26, 2011 12:55 AM