Downgrading from Windows Vista to Windows XP on my Laptop RRS feed

• Question

• My question is how can I install Windows XP on a Comp  that HAD Windows Vista?

I like to work on computers on the side. I like to help out my friends in need, to try to save them a few bucks. Usually I can fix the small problems they might have but this one has me Beat!

Background info:

My friends son has a Compaq Presario F500 with Windows Vista Home Premium. The son like to play online games from this website www.byond.com. Well he went to download something from the site, he said what he downloaded wasn't compatiable with Vista  but it was compatiable XP, and he doesn't remember what he did after that but the outcome was the "blue screen of death". So the father asked if I could install XP on the machine. I said sure, all I need to do is erase vista and install XP no prob. Well this simple task turned into an almost 3 day project that leads to nowhere. So now I have a blank Comp with half an OS installed on it.

Symptoms:

When I go through the installition it stops at about 57% and says "windows cannot install file shell32.dll." "Retry or skip?" I hit retry a few times then skipped. After that I must have skipped about 30 files before it was finished. I tried to finish setup but it brought me back to the blue screen of death, so I wiped the disk again and tried to install XP, I must have repeated this process 30 times and I'm getting no where. Can anyone help?

Thursday, January 17, 2008 4:55 PM

Answers

• Hi Chill,

Thank you for the post.

Please understand that we mainly discuss Windows Vista issues in this forum. As this issue is closely related to the Windows XP installation, we are not the best resource to troubleshoot the issue.

Currently, I suggest unplugging unnecessary devices, such as sound card, printer and network card, formatting the drive and reinstalling Windows XP.

If Windows XP still cannot be installed, I suggest contacting our Windows XP public newsgroup to further troubleshoot this issue. You can also contact Compaq for more information. Thank you for your understanding.

I hope the issue can be resolved soon.

Best regards,

Tim Quan

Microsoft Online Community Support

Monday, January 21, 2008 2:27 AM

All replies

• Hi Chill,

Thank you for the post.

Please understand that we mainly discuss Windows Vista issues in this forum. As this issue is closely related to the Windows XP installation, we are not the best resource to troubleshoot the issue.

Currently, I suggest unplugging unnecessary devices, such as sound card, printer and network card, formatting the drive and reinstalling Windows XP.

If Windows XP still cannot be installed, I suggest contacting our Windows XP public newsgroup to further troubleshoot this issue. You can also contact Compaq for more information. Thank you for your understanding.

I hope the issue can be resolved soon.

Best regards,

Tim Quan

Microsoft Online Community Support

Monday, January 21, 2008 2:27 AM
  • Hello Chill,

I just installed XP and got rid of Vista too.  I didn't have any problems but I had called Microsoft when I was questioning how to do it.  They said that as long as I purchased a legal copy of Windows Xp that they would offer phone support.  So I bought a full retail copy of Windows XP from edirectbuy.com for $54.99 plus sh & h.  So that's just maybe an option for you.  Or just call Microsoft and ask.  here's a number.....866-234-6020  which I got from my computer manufacturer techs.  Hard to find otherwise.  good luck.  hope this helps

Monday, January 21, 2008 6:18 AM
  • Dear Chill, 

I have a question.  When you got to the screen that asks for choices for the install of xp did you choose the top one which is the NTFS (Quick Format) on C: one?   That is the one I chose because it formatts the drive for you in advance of install.  Just wondering.  And I gave the wrong website for the new XP cd.  it is edirectbuy.net.   

Monday, January 21, 2008 6:45 AM
  • Dear Chill,

Well upon further ponderment (I think that is a word!)  I have a suggestion.  Maybe you should reinstall stupid Vista and start over.  If you didn't wipe out the partion drive  with the restore system then you can get a reinstall disk from Compaq.  I think it's free if you ask before 3 months, after that it is about $20 plus s&h.  That's what Acer charges.  Then try again to install XP.  Just trying to help.......

Monday, January 21, 2008 6:57 AM