FAST Search Server 2010 for SharePoint's actions on Firewall? RRS feed

• Question

• In the MSDN Article
    The FAST Search Server 2010 for SharePoint installer uses the computer's default settings for Internet Protocol security (IPsec) key exchange, data protection, and authentication.
    If you do not use the default settings for IPsec, for example because of domain group policies or the computer's local policies, make sure that the custom global firewall IPsec settings provide sufficient security. Also, make sure that the global IPsec settings are the same for all servers in the deployment.

I would like to know the details about what constitutes "sufficient security". If our group policy turns off Windows Updates and we aren't able to get it turned on are we not going to be able to install FAST? Everything I've read said you must have this enabled or you will have issues down the road.
    I need to know what exactly what settings FAST makes/changes on the firewall in order to clear it with our networking operations center. We have a third party firewall that we use. Will FAST attempt to configure this if the Windows Firewall is turned off? Also, if it is required to be on for the setup can it be turned off after the instaltion/configuration takes place?
    Any help would be appreciated!

Love them all...regardless. - Buddha
    Tuesday, July 19, 2011 5:21 PM

Answers