none
Cannot log on to Windows 10 workstation "you need the right to sign in through Remote Desktop Users Group" message RRS feed

• Question

• I am trying to sign into a Windows 10 workstations." set up to capture logs. I had the administrator of the workstation add me to the local "Remote Desktop Users" group. The administrator also made my domain account a local administrator on the machine. When i try to remote into the machine, I get "Other User" "To sign in remotely, you need the right to sign in through Remote Desktop Services. By default, members of the Remote Desktop Users group have this right..." 

I am not able to remote into the machine. Ran a "net localgroup administrators" and "Remote Desktop Users" command and my name is in both group. I should be able to remote into the workstation but I am not able to remote in.

I am not able to pull a policy report using gpresult so I am unable to check policy on it. Could it be a corrupt policy? Is there a way to wipe the old policies and pull down a new set of policies?Appreciate any help on this...

Tuesday, July 24, 2018 4:25 PM

All replies

• Can you check the local policies of these problem workstations?

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/security/threat-protection/security-policy-settings/allow-log-on-through-remote-desktop-services

Does it work, If you allow in local policy rights to sign in through Remote Desktop Services?

Tuesday, July 24, 2018 5:32 PM
  • Hi,

By default, login via RDS or RDP is on for admins (or Domain admins) only.Go to system/computer properties > remote (Remote Desktops) and allow remote connections and select users. Sounds like you are confusing the local Remote Desktop Users group and the domain Remote Desktop Users group.  If you are adding users to the domain group, you need to add that group to the local machine.

After you deployed the GPO to push out allow log on through Remote Desktop Services. Check the local machine Remote Desktop Users group.

Regards,

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, July 25, 2018 7:33 AM