none
a.lakequincy.com - MS forums adware causes browsing delays RRS feed

• Question

• I am constantly seeing lingering messages on the IE8 status bar above the Windows Start Button like:   Downloading picture http://a.lakequincy.com/img/633838775621796625.png

I looked into http://a.lakequincy.com and they're just another adware tracker/peddler.  Harmless I suppose, but the delays are getting really annoying.

Are there some IE8 settings, or any other way to improve this, or do I need to resort to blocking it with my firewall?  I have already tried blocking their cookies through the IE8 Privacy Report icon on the status bar.  That didn't help.  The Privacy Report also shows a javascript download  http://a.lakequincy.com/s.js  for which there doesn't appear to be any IE8 way to block.  Would blocking the entire lakequincy.com URL with my firewall help?  Or would that just make the delays worse?

The preceding text was posted earlier, then moved to Off Topic by Tagore Bandlamudi<abbr class="affil">MSFT</abbr><abbr class="affil">, Administrator</abbr> .    What?  You resented my pointing it out?

OK, I'll pose my suggestion differently.

Please find a way to make this MS forum adware and trackware behave unobtrusively.

And in the meantime, do you have any suggestions how to make it more tolerable?

• Moved by Naomi N Sunday, March 24, 2013 4:35 AM Off-topic
    Tuesday, June 22, 2010 9:16 PM

All replies

• For those of you who don't know what I'm talking about, probably you are always signed-in when browsing these MS forums.  Try it signed-out, as would be the case for thousands of people who might arrive here from Google or such.

Anyway, I did go ahead and block a.Lakequincy.com with my firewall.  That instantly improved things.  I mean, instantly.

So I got adventurous and blocked a few others that were still afflicting this site.  A brief list includes ads1.msads.net, ads2.msads.net, msnads.vo.msecnd (and its IP), spe.atdmt.com, atlasdmt.vo.mswecnd.net, view.atdmt.com.  Wow.  Now it's like lightning.

As a bonus, now my bootup is way faster too.  Amazing.  One of those entries must've been contaminating Sidebar or Gadgets.

Thanks for your personable support, Tagore.

Friday, June 25, 2010 10:48 PM
  • Here's my ever-growing firewall blocklist at this point.  What a moving target.  Look at all the aliased IP addresses.  What's up with that?

a.lakequincy.com

66.129.67.0-255

spe.atdmt.com -aka- spe.atdmt.com.edgesuite.net -aka- a1521.x.akamai.net
    view.atdmt.com
    atlasdmt.vo.msecnd.net

ads1.msads.net -aka- ads2.msads.net -aka- msnads.vo.msecnd.net

Tuesday, June 29, 2010 6:34 PM
  • Hi

Why not just sign in?

Since you obviously have a profile, it only takes a few seconds to sign in and the problem would be solved. Why would you go to all of that trouble?

Regards,

Wednesday, June 30, 2010 2:57 PM
  • Why not just sign in?

Since you obviously have a profile, it only takes a few seconds to sign in and the problem would be solved. Why would you go to all of that trouble?

From the lips of an MVP.

Don't you see I got sucked into this unproductive spiral of nonsense one small increment at a time?

What do you think crossed my mind when I initially noticed the delays, and saw somebody named Lake Quincy loitering 30 seconds on my IE8 status bar?  Have you ever explored this arcane Privacy eyeball on the IE8 statusbar to discover what bizarre things it reveals?  What do you think about my initial post here being dumped into the Off Topic trashbin?  How was I to know this would take me on a fruitless journey researching cookies and malware and firewalls, NSLOOKUP and DNS and etc to discover Microsoft playing Musical Chairs with their adware servers?

Do you see any reply here offering an explanation or suggestion that would have spared me the grief?  Why did I waste all this time and effort to come full circle?

It is a metaphor for all things Microsoft, sir.

Wednesday, June 30, 2010 7:00 PM
  • Hi mobopie

There is no reason to get personal, I am just trying to help.

Are you sure that you saw the ads being displayed on these Microsoft Answers forums?

Even when accessing these forums before logging on, I don't think I have ever seen any ads being displayed here?

If you're describing another group of forums, such as Technet, Msdn or the standard Microsoft forums, you may see some ads there, but all of those forums are on separate servers and there is no connection between those forums and these Answers forums. Those forums have different owners, managers, and support people.

There is nothing the devs here can do to help with those forums.

However, I still maintain that your best solution on those other forums would be to simply sign in before the ads can get started.

OK, I used another computer to access the Technet forums and I see what you are describing. There is a single ad box that displays the information in the Status that you were describing. I exited and went back to the same page and immediately clicked the Sign in link. The ads never appeared and nothing was displayed in the Status Bar. It looks like the sign in link acts like a switch to prevent the ads from appearing.

Hope this helps.

Ronnie Vernon MVP

Wednesday, June 30, 2010 11:00 PM

• Something odd has happened this morning.  Another Lake Quincy malfunction?

This is the first time I've ever seen this ad in the right column here.  Before, the Lake Quincy URL was just getting hung-up on the IE8 status bar.  Never a hint or trace of who that might be.  It sure is clear now who Lake Quincy is, eh?  But, wait, where did the circulating Microsoft ads go?  They're gone.  No matter which forum page, this is the only ad that appears!

So funny!  Be careful what you wish for...

Saturday, July 31, 2010 11:31 AM
  • This came from microsoft security scanner! the file they sent me was from this URL, and the virus which is Incredibly intelligent, came from update KB976932 an ADS virus that is just about incurable! A new windows on a new hard drive did NOT fix it!

Ray P.

I have the FBI And NSA looking into it.

Bad link removed
                                    DON'T OPEN THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!
    • Edited by Psylosyphyr Friday, March 22, 2013 12:35 AM
    • Edited by Naomi N Sunday, March 24, 2013 4:34 AM Bad link
    Friday, March 22, 2013 12:33 AM
  • Hi mobopie

There is no reason to get personal, I am just trying to help.

Are you sure that you saw the ads being displayed on these Microsoft Answers forums?

Even when accessing these forums before logging on, I don't think I have ever seen any ads being displayed here?

If you're describing another group of forums, such as Technet, Msdn or the standard Microsoft forums, you may see some ads there, but all of those forums are on separate servers and there is no connection between those forums and these Answers forums. Those forums have different owners, managers, and support people.

There is nothing the devs here can do to help with those forums.

However, I still maintain that your best solution on those other forums would be to simply sign in before the ads can get started.

OK, I used another computer to access the Technet forums and I see what you are describing. There is a single ad box that displays the information in the Status that you were describing. I exited and went back to the same page and immediately clicked the Sign in link. The ads never appeared and nothing was displayed in the Status Bar. It looks like the sign in link acts like a switch to prevent the ads from appearing.

Hope this helps.

Ronnie Vernon MVP

I am saying that I got a unbelievable virus from KB976932, then in 3 months of attempting to get help, I got a paper card with code instead of a win8 pro disk, then after a promise of a full install win8 pro, I recieved a win7 hp BU disk that will not even boot! Now I get a file from Msofts security scanner, after it downloads it looks funny my anti virus put a yellow warning on it and I tried  to check the certs, All bogus excuses! they could not be verified!  I appreciate  your list and will ad it to mine in a few minutes, but a new HD and new install did not lose this virus! It blocked of a section of CMOS and rebuilt itself it boots from mssmbios not the oem bios, Who knows, Chinese spies at msoft, God, Aliens? I want no more to do with it, whoever is behind this has began to make it clear I should drop it and try linux or mac!

Ray p.  

I do have documented proof of all I have told you! I also made .wav files of my conversations with msoft, i WILL TELL YOU THAT THE fbi AND nsa FIND IT WORTH INVESTIGATING!

good Luck!

• Edited by Psylosyphyr Friday, March 22, 2013 12:49 AM
    Friday, March 22, 2013 12:47 AM