none
Hyper-V 2012 VM replication as SCOM/SQL DR solution RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

Anyone out there using Hyper-V VM replicas of SCOM and SQL servers as a DR solution for SCOM?

Is it supported?

We are running Hyper-V 2012 R2, SCOM 2012 SP1, and SQL 2012. We created Hyper-V replicas of SCOM and SQL server on a different Hyper-V host. Turned off the primary SQL and SCOM VMs to simulate a disaster and performed a fail-over in Hyper-V. After a few manual steps the SCOM server seemed to work fine.

I could go into more details, but overall is it a supported solution? Looks too simple and good to be true :-). 

Our RPO, RTOs are quite flexible for SCOM.

Thanks.

• Edited by Rama G Monday, September 8, 2014 4:03 AM
    Monday, September 8, 2014 2:16 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Although there is no official document, but from my point of view, hyper-v replica is one way to keep data in two places, this way to have a data backup.

And the most official way is to do database back up, and here is the article about how to do DR for SCOM:

Disaster Recovery in System Center 2012 - Operations Manager

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh531578.aspx

As far as I know, hyper-v replica is used to prevent hardware damage causing loosing data.

Regards,

Yan Li

Regards, Yan Li

Tuesday, September 9, 2014 2:27 AM
  • Saw a few articles on the supported replica configuration of SQL database engine. If the db and log are on different vhd, "Set-VMReplication -VMName <VM-Name> -EnableWriteOrderPreservationAcrossDisks 1" must be set to ensure the vhd are replicated in an application aware manner.

We will test this out and post results.

Still keen to know if anyone is running with such DR configuration for SCOM.

Tuesday, September 9, 2014 7:27 AM