none
Windows 7 to Windows 7 Hardware refresh (NO SCCM) RRS feed

• Question

• I am looking for the best way to use MDT in order to do hardware refresh. Approximately 4000 older Dell laptops, we need to give the user his new laptop which has exactly what it had on the old one, user profiles, data and application. We have no SCCM on site, so I am hoping MDT can help, looking for an average of 25-50 computers a night. The plan is for the user to hand us the laptop in the evening. get his new one in the morning.

-- Adam

Tuesday, December 5, 2017 10:40 PM

All replies

• Why not upgrade to Windows 10? :)

"Exactly" may be a LOT to ask for. USMT can archive data and settings, but not Apps. 

Prepare all the new machines with the necessary apps and stuff. I would start directing users to use a common OneDrive or OneDrive for business account now, rather than a bulk copy later. Users should be directed to a backed up share anyways, for disaster recovery and theft scenarios.

Anyways, use the MDT "Replace" task sequence to copy the USMT data to a common share. 

Then a standard task sequence to install new os/apps/data from USMT.

Keith Garner - Principal Consultant [owner] - http://DeploymentLive.com

Wednesday, December 6, 2017 5:57 AM
  • Why not upgrade to Windows 10? :)

Because it is impossible to reasonably explain something to someone who gets paid not to understand :-(.

Thanks for the MDT tips we are going to give it a try.

Updated Question:

How feasible would it be to

Create an association table of source and target computers which will also contain the USMT shared folder, applications dump from the old sources associated with the new imported Applications to MDT?

-- Adam

• Edited by Adam F Kings Wednesday, December 6, 2017 7:44 PM more ideas
    Wednesday, December 6, 2017 3:05 PM