Mobile Device Centre (or equivalent) for effective USB connections under Windows 7 RRS feed

• Question

• I have a new navigation system that will not communicate with my computer.  The laptop is only 3 months old, delivered just after Windows 7 release. The manufacturer of the Nav System assures me that I must download the Windows Mobile Device Center for this to work. I have just been told by Microsoft technician that there is currently Windows 7 will not support Mobile Device Center.
    Is there another download I can use to solve this problem?
    Please advise.
    Friday, March 12, 2010 5:51 AM

Answers

• Hi,

I just installed Windows Mobile Device Center on Windows 7 without any problem. So, WMDC should be compatible with Windows 7. At this time, I would like to know what mobile device is used and what exact error is received when installing WMDC.

At this time, try installing it in Clean Boot mode. When installing, right click on the file and choose Run as administrator.

This issue also can occur if previous version was not removed completely. You can use Windows Installer Cleanup Utility to check if any previous version is available. If so, remove it and then install again.

Vivian Xing - MSFT
    • Marked as answer by Vivian Xing Friday, March 19, 2010 7:26 AM
    Monday, March 15, 2010 3:27 AM

All replies

• raspberrypie,

According to the website, Windows Mobile Device Center 6.1 is fully supported by Windows 7.  Here is the official website, which you can see that Windows 7 is supported:

From the site:

Windows Mobile Device Center system requirements

You can use Windows Mobile Device Center 6.1 with the following versions of Windows only:
    • Windows 7 Ultimate
    • Windows 7 Professional
    • Windows 7 Home Premium
    • Windows 7 Starter
    • Windows Vista Ultimate
    • Windows Vista Enterprise
    • Windows Vista Business
    • Windows Vista Home Premium
    • Windows Vista Home Basic
    • Windows Server 2008
    Windows Mobile Device Center 6.1 works only with the following versions of the Windows Mobile operating system:
    • Windows Mobile 6.5
    • Windows Mobile 6.1
    • Windows Embedded CE 6.0
    • Windows Mobile 6
    • Windows Mobile 5.0 with Messaging and Security Feature Pack
    • Windows Mobile 5.0
    • Windows Mobile 2003 Second Edition
    • Windows Mobile 2003

I would just try to install it, if you haven't already.  I believe that Mobile Device Center may not currently be supported with Outlook 2010 Beta; however, I haven't tried the two together (Mobile Device Center and Outlook 2010), so I can't confirm this 100%.  If you're running Outlook 2010, this may be your problem.  I currently do not know of another program that could be used alongside Mobile Device Center, I'll look into it though.

Hope that helps!

Jason
    • Edited by jctierney Saturday, March 13, 2010 2:09 AM grammar error
    Saturday, March 13, 2010 2:09 AM
  • Thanks for that Jason.
    I have been into that website. Yes - on the first page it indicates that it is compatible with Vista and Windows 7. But as I progressed (four times)((two on my own - two with the guidance of a Hewlett Packard technician)) several screens down, I see a warning that it is only supporing Vista. Each time, I continued.  It appeared to be downloading normally, but at the very end, I get a message saying that it has not installed successfully.  That is when the HP technician gave up!  That is also when I contacted Microsoft, and whichever technician I spoke to told me that there is currently no support for Windows 7 with the Mobile Device Center.  Very frustrating!  Under guidance from the HP guy, I have taken the laptop back to factory specs (which now needs a lot of work to reinstall all my software), but it still will not talk to the Hema nav system.
    If you come across any possibilities for me to try, I will appreciate it.
    Many thanks
    RaspberryPie.
    Saturday, March 13, 2010 7:03 AM
  • Hi,

I just installed Windows Mobile Device Center on Windows 7 without any problem. So, WMDC should be compatible with Windows 7. At this time, I would like to know what mobile device is used and what exact error is received when installing WMDC.

At this time, try installing it in Clean Boot mode. When installing, right click on the file and choose Run as administrator.

This issue also can occur if previous version was not removed completely. You can use Windows Installer Cleanup Utility to check if any previous version is available. If so, remove it and then install again.

Vivian Xing - MSFT
    • Marked as answer by Vivian Xing Friday, March 19, 2010 7:26 AM
    Monday, March 15, 2010 3:27 AM