none
How to assign available units (manpower) based on date? RRS feed

• Question

• I'm new to project so excuse the simple question. I have a crew of 5 people that works for 1 week, then 5 more join for week 2, then 5 leave in week 3. In other words my manpower schedule looks like this:

Week 1: 5 workers

Week 2: 10 workers

Week 3: 5 workers.

These workers are all the same resource type. They will all be working on the same task.

What's the best way to show this varying manpower on my Project schedule? I have "max units" set at 10, but I want to show my production per day doubling during week 2 when I have double the manpower. Thanks!

Sunday, February 14, 2016 7:24 PM

All replies

• Iswizzle,

There are various ways to attack this but here's one approach.

Assuming each of the 5 workers works a normal 8 hour day the 100 man-days (5 men x 5 days + 10 men x 5 days + 5 men x 5 days), translates to 800 total hours of work for the 3 week (15 working days) task, follow these steps.

1. Set the task as Fixed Work with 800 hrs in the Work field and 15 days in the Duration field. Note, in Project work and duration are not the same.

2. Set a single group resource with a Max Units of 10. It sounds like you've already done that.

3. Assign that group resource to the task at a unit level of 5

4. Go to the Resource Usage view and set the bottom tier timescale to show weeks

5. Manually change the Work field in the timescale data (right side of screen) to 400 hours for the second week

That's it. You should now have a task with 800 hours over a 15 day duration with 5 resources assigned the first week, 10 assigned the second week and 5 assigned the third week.

Hope this helps.

John

Sunday, February 14, 2016 11:46 PM
  • John,

Thanks for your helpful reply (and my mistake on the cross-post). I've got a follow-up question.

My question above used a somewhat simplified example of my real schedule (my schedule has manpower fluctuate daily instead of weekly). So I've assigned the maximum resource unit availability for each day using the "available from" and "available to" options when I double click on a resource name in the resource sheet.

Each task in my project has a set number of manhours required to complete. For example:

Task: Install roof

Work: 120 manhours (I know this number based on previous experience)

Resources available: Day 1: 2 roofers. Day 2: 6 roofers. Day 3: 4 roofers. (These resource units have been entered into the max availability as mentioned above; roofers work 10 hour days)

Since I know how many total manhours are required to install the roof I'm going with "fixed-work" for the project. I'll let MS Project calculate my duration.

My question is, how do I get MS Project to automatically assign to the task all of my available units each day? That is, assign 2 roofers on day 1, 6 on day 2, and 4 on day 3. When I originally assigned the roofers to the task in the Gantt chart I had to enter a number of units, but these units fluctuate daily.

Another reason I'd like Project to do this automatically is if a task gets pushed back on the schedule, my available manpower for the new days may be different than the original days, so the duration of the task might change as well.

Let me know if I need to explain that more clearly. Thanks!

Tuesday, February 16, 2016 6:23 PM
  • Iswizzle,

You're welcome but unfortunately Project has no functionality to assign resources automatically. And using the "available from" and "available to" won't help. In your scenario resource availability will simply create a lot of unnecessary work on your part. You're better off to use the process I outlined in my first post and set the Max Units at 6 directly on the Resource Sheet.

Hope this helps.

John

Tuesday, February 16, 2016 8:47 PM