Not able to set adobe reader as default pdf handler - Windows 10 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, I am facing issues with setting Adobe reader as default pdf reader in windows 10. Looking for some help. Has anyone successfully sequenced reader for windows 10?
    Sequencer: appv 5.1
    Adobe reader: 11.0.16
    Issue: when the sequence is published to client machine and if i try to open .pdf files, it opens up with edge. This is understandable since i am opening pdfs from local desktop the default pdf app set up in the OS takes precedence over my package settings.

I have all the registries required to make Adobe reader as default pdf reader in my package.I included the edge prog id location in PassThroughKeys ((hkcu ms sw windows currentver explorer filexts .pdf userchoice\hash id and prog id) so that my package can update the native registry of the appv client machine. I added a reg import command to import the registry during runtime. But the issue is windows 10 has a hash id in registry which is generated by os when the user changes the default apps through gui. Looks like it creates a unique I'd for each default app set operation and hence the hash id in my package is considered invalid. In addition to this, the entire userchoice hive is given deny permissions and hence that hive cannot be modified even with admin id and the entire .pdf hive need to be deleted.

So if I change the default pdf reader manually from edge to Adobe reader through gui it updates the hash I'd and prog id to reader and it's all good. I believe MS wants FTAs to be modified only through gui and not through registry tweaks.

I tried to use dism to generate a defaultfileassociation.xml file and set it using gpo. But it did not work.

I also found all these ftas are coming from oemdefaultfileassociations.XML from system32 folder. I have updated the edge progid with Adobe reader progid but still edge is set as default pdf reader.

so bottom line is, I am not able to set Adobe Reader as default PDF handler locally also. I am looking for a way to do this from my App-V sequence.

Could you please help me with this? I would really appreciate some pointers.

Sunday, April 9, 2017 4:27 AM

All replies

• Did you try the DISM and gpo method in a domain joined machine?

Some limitations are there:

https://www.adobe.com/devnet-docs/acrobatetk/tools/AdminGuide/pdfviewer.html

Limitations

1. The end user machine needs to be domain-joined for this method to work.
    2. Users can change the file associations during the current session. However, admin settings are reinstated at next logon.
    3. As of 5th Feb 2016, it is a known limitation of Windows 10 that when new user is created on the machine after enforcing the GPO Policy, then on first login ownership is not set. However, the correct settings are applied on subsequent logins.

(Please click on Vote as Helpful and/or Mark as Answer, if it has helped you.)

MVP - Windows and Devices for IT

app2pack.blogspot.com: app2pack.blogspot.com

Monday, April 10, 2017 10:47 AM
  • Hi Vignesh,

Yes. I have tried the DISM and GPO method but unfortunately it didn't work. I am looking for a way to do it from my App-V sequence.

Gopinath Vengidusamy

Tuesday, April 11, 2017 4:36 AM
  • You have mentioned that you are not able to set locally also? I gave a try and after logoff/logon the FTA's have been set using DISM/gpo.

These links helped me to disable edge from taking over fta's:

https://ardamis.com/2015/12/01/configuring-a-default-application-for-protected-file-types-in-windows-10/

http://www.winhelponline.com/blog/edge-hijack-pdf-htm-associations/

I will further investigate and let you know.

(Please click on Vote as Helpful and/or Mark as Answer, if it has helped you.)

MVP - Windows and Devices for IT

app2pack.blogspot.com: app2pack.blogspot.com

Tuesday, April 11, 2017 5:54 AM
  • Hi Vignesh,

I am able to set locally using GPO following ardamis blog post. But winhelponline blog post does not work in win 10 1607 build. I am afraid we cannot go with the GPO method because we have Foxit phantom PDF also in our environment. If we set adobe reader as default it will create issues for users who would want to use Foxit as default PDF handler. So I am looking for a way to make adobe reader as default PDF handler from my app-v sequence.Thanks.

Gopinath Vengidusamy

Friday, April 14, 2017 5:41 AM