Photos Screen saver problems in Windows 7 RRS feed

• Question

• Photos screen saver crashes most of the time when I move the mouse to exit.

Round circle, this application is not responding etc.

This is pc  upgraded from Vista

Sunday, December 20, 2009 8:21 PM

Answers

• Hi sven253,

Is there any third party screen saver software installed? If so, please uninstall it and see if the issue occurs.

As Magon mentioned, Clean Boot is a good method to check if the issue is related to third party software and services. If the issue disappears in the Clean Boot environment, we can use a 50/50 approach to quickly narrow down which entry is causing the issue.

Also, please test the Sample Pictures came with Windows 7 and see if the issue exists:

1.     Right click on the Desktop and then click Personalize.

2.     Click Screen Saver.

3.     Select Photos and then click Settings…

4.     Browse the folder to C:\Users\Public\Pictures\Sample Pictures

5.     Click Save.

6.     Click OK.

What is the result? If the issue persists, please test if the issue occurs using other screen saver, such as 3D Text or Bubbles. However, if the issue does not occur using Sample Pictures, could you please provide the following information for further research?

·          What is the file types you are using? Are they .jpg file or .bmp files?

·          What are the file size of each photo?

·          How many files are there in photo folder?

·          When did the issue first occur? Did it occur after installing certain software or changing some hardware?

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Linda

• Marked as answer by Arthur Xie Monday, December 28, 2009 9:34 AM
    Friday, December 25, 2009 7:46 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Did this issue occurs right after upgrading to win7? Have you tried to set another folder that contains less photoes or windows photoes by default.

It is possible certain third party software cause confliction. To troubleshoot the issue I suggest boot into Clean boot to test.

Clean Boot
    =============
    This method will help us determine if this issue is caused by a loading program or service.

1. Click "Start",and type "msconfig" (without the quotation marks) in the open box to start the System Configuration Utility.
    2. Click the "Services" tab, check the "Hide All Microsoft Services" box and click "Disable All" (if it is not gray).
    3. Click the "Startup" tab, click "Disable All" and click "OK".
    4. Click "OK" to restart your computer to Selective Startup environment.
    5. When the "System Configuration Utility" window appears, please check the "Don't show this message or launch the System Configuration Utility when Windows starts" box and click OK.
    6. Check whether or not the issue still appears in this environment.
    Monday, December 21, 2009 5:34 AM
  • Hi sven253,

Is there any third party screen saver software installed? If so, please uninstall it and see if the issue occurs.

As Magon mentioned, Clean Boot is a good method to check if the issue is related to third party software and services. If the issue disappears in the Clean Boot environment, we can use a 50/50 approach to quickly narrow down which entry is causing the issue.

Also, please test the Sample Pictures came with Windows 7 and see if the issue exists:

1.     Right click on the Desktop and then click Personalize.

2.     Click Screen Saver.

3.     Select Photos and then click Settings…

4.     Browse the folder to C:\Users\Public\Pictures\Sample Pictures

5.     Click Save.

6.     Click OK.

What is the result? If the issue persists, please test if the issue occurs using other screen saver, such as 3D Text or Bubbles. However, if the issue does not occur using Sample Pictures, could you please provide the following information for further research?

·          What is the file types you are using? Are they .jpg file or .bmp files?

·          What are the file size of each photo?

·          How many files are there in photo folder?

·          When did the issue first occur? Did it occur after installing certain software or changing some hardware?

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Linda

• Marked as answer by Arthur Xie Monday, December 28, 2009 9:34 AM
    Friday, December 25, 2009 7:46 AM
  •    I was having the same problem as you. Not sure this will help you or not. On my computer "My Pictures appeared in 2 location on my computer.I solved my problem by selecting "My Pictures" in only 1 location. This cured it for me. Hope it works for you also.
    Thursday, August 7, 2014 5:53 PM