none
Selection Profiles, Update Media Content and Where's my Files?

Question

• First the preliminaries:  MDT 2010 Update 1  (Version: 5.1.1642.01), Deploying Win7 SP1. When I deploy using the network boot everything works as designed.

I am trying to create the stand-alone DVD version of my Windows 7 deployment to a couple of different hardware platforms. So I have create a Selection Profile for these two hardware platforms, each named after the model name, for example “HP Compaq 8100 Elite SFF PC”. In this selection profile I have chosen all of the applications I want to be included as part of this profile, along with the specific OOB drivers and such. In the properties for the Selection Profile, I have chosen a folder that sits directly under the DS001:\Applications folder called ACE3. So the path would look like this DS001:\Applications\ACE3.

There are no subfolders under ACE3, only applications.  So visually it would look like this in the Workbench under the Selection Profile properties.

DS001:\

Applications

ACE3

In the ACE3 folder I have some application including one I’ll call “Remove Temp Account” which does as the name implies, remove a temp account I use in the build processing. It is a VB script that deletes the account. In the Workbench it displays this way.

When I run the Update Media Content I get no errors and the ISO is created. If I boot the DVD created from this ISO, Summery tells me it did not find the App “Remove Temp Account” among others. So I go back and look at the Media\Content\Deploy\Applications folder under the “D:\Media\HP_Compaq_8100_Elite_SFF_PC” folder and sure enough it’s not there. It is definitely there in the Workbench however  (D:\DeploymentShare$\Applications\ACE3\Remove Temp Account)

I have a few of these happening to me and it makes no sense, since the other Applications that are defined under the ACE3 folder have been copied and deploy successfully.

Why isn’t the Update Media Content wizard not copying all of my applications?

Sunday, December 04, 2011 8:31 PM

Answers

• It would seem that when I created the Application using the Create Application Without Source Files option I did not have a Source Directory defined in the Applications Properties. Once the application has been created I could not find a way to change the value since it is a greyed out field on the properties pane.

I created a new Application this time making sure that I have a source directory value.

The wizard will obviously make use of this field in order to create the media.

Thanks for looking.

• Marked as answer by NDR00 Tuesday, December 13, 2011 1:03 PM
    Tuesday, December 13, 2011 1:03 PM

All replies

• Is it possibly a permissions issue? Doesn't make sense otherwise, because I've made tons of media ISOs with a number of applications and never ran into the issue you are running into.
    -BrianG (http://supportishere.com)
    Sunday, December 11, 2011 4:27 AM
  • Hi. I would verify permissions first on the deployment share. I would also mount the ISO to look inside it and verify contents.

OHM
    www.msitpros.com

Tuesday, December 13, 2011 7:35 AM
  • It would seem that when I created the Application using the Create Application Without Source Files option I did not have a Source Directory defined in the Applications Properties. Once the application has been created I could not find a way to change the value since it is a greyed out field on the properties pane.

I created a new Application this time making sure that I have a source directory value.

The wizard will obviously make use of this field in order to create the media.

Thanks for looking.

• Marked as answer by NDR00 Tuesday, December 13, 2011 1:03 PM
    Tuesday, December 13, 2011 1:03 PM