Utilizing multiple resources RRS feed

• Question

• I am trying out Project 2013.

On Feb 06 - 08 2012, GD Projects did a great job of asking the same question I have. An example would be that I would like to assign two resources to a task. If I assign one of them 25% units and the other 50% units, with the task type fixed work, I would like to see the duration calculated such that they both work the entire duration, but at their different rates. In other words, the duration should be calculated based on a 75% effort.

My understanding of the response to GD Projects question was that the task is automatically split evenly between the resources. Then the duration is calculated based on the 25% time. When GD Projects asked further if there was a way to do it the way he (and myself and anybody else I can think of) wanted to do it, the response was to follow a couple of links that were to explain how there is a difference between initially assigning a task and changing it. While they had nice information about task assignment, they did not lead me to a solution. This is a fundamentally important question for me. If I cannot assign multiple resources to a task and have them both work for the duration at their different rates, I don't see how I can utilize any of the resulting calculations.

Thursday, May 16, 2013 10:20 PM

Answers

• Well, since Fixed Work is by default effort driven so as I mentioned above work will be equally divided hence a resource with lesser assignment unit will take more days to complete.

Formula is Duration = Work/Resource Units, so at a time you can just input 2 variables and third one gets calculated.

Say, if you have Work of 60hrs and R1[25%], R2[50%], follow steps below :

1) Make the task fixed unit, without ED by double clicking on it. Now go to resource tab in task information dialog box - assign R1 - 25%, R2- 50%.

2) So, now you will see Work hrs change to - 6hrs. while duration is 1d? and resources R1[25%],R2[50%]

3) Add, whatever is your work hours, say I added 60hrs. This will give you scheduling message - which will ask if you want to increase the duration or resource units. So you can select the first option. Which will change the duration to 10d.

So, when you follow the correct steps, based on Work & Resource Units your Duration will be calculated.

Sapna Shukla

Friday, May 17, 2013 3:57 PM

All replies

• This is not possible when you make the task type as Fixed Work, it is by defualt Effort Driven- which means whatever is total work hrs. say 16hrs it will be equally divided between resources. So, 50% assigned resource will take 2 d to finish it (4hrs/day) while 25% assigned resource will take 4d (2hrs/day) to finish their 8hrs of work each.

So, first decide on task type. Say if you make it fixed duration, make it 4d - uncheck Effort Driven. Now assign R1[25%],[R250%] - it will calculate to make sure both resources work 4d on their assignment % to finish 24hrs of work.

Sapna Shukla

Friday, May 17, 2013 4:33 AM
  • Or slightly simpler, turn off effort driven in Task form then enter the Units % you want against each resource and you're done. Make sure you assign the % correctly when first assigning as there is a difference between first assigning a resource and editing an existing assignment.

Rod Gill

The one and only Project VBA Book

Rod Gill Project Management

Friday, May 17, 2013 5:49 AM
  • Sapna,

Thank you. It seems an unfortunate work around since it requires me to guess (or more appropriately calculate it myself) the duration and then fill in the other parts of the equation. But, at least it works, giving me a way to continue.
    Friday, May 17, 2013 3:30 PM
  • Gill,

Thank you for your reply. I must be misunderstanding something here. When I select the task to be fixed work, I do not appear to have the option to turn off the effort driven. I tried making it fixed units, which allowed me to turn off effort driven (I don't really care if it is fixed units or fixed work, since I want to put both of those in and have the duration properly calculated). I then removed the two resources for a task, entered them back in, entered a number of work hours and did not get the correct duration. In this case I have 120 hours with one resource at 25% and another at 50%, the duration comes out at 30 days, which to me would be the same as a single person working 50% time.

Does the editing versus changing issue mean that I need to delete the whole task anytime I want to change the resources?

Karl

Friday, May 17, 2013 3:49 PM
  • Well, since Fixed Work is by default effort driven so as I mentioned above work will be equally divided hence a resource with lesser assignment unit will take more days to complete.

Formula is Duration = Work/Resource Units, so at a time you can just input 2 variables and third one gets calculated.

Say, if you have Work of 60hrs and R1[25%], R2[50%], follow steps below :

1) Make the task fixed unit, without ED by double clicking on it. Now go to resource tab in task information dialog box - assign R1 - 25%, R2- 50%.

2) So, now you will see Work hrs change to - 6hrs. while duration is 1d? and resources R1[25%],R2[50%]

3) Add, whatever is your work hours, say I added 60hrs. This will give you scheduling message - which will ask if you want to increase the duration or resource units. So you can select the first option. Which will change the duration to 10d.

So, when you follow the correct steps, based on Work & Resource Units your Duration will be calculated.

Sapna Shukla

Friday, May 17, 2013 3:57 PM