Help installing 4GB RAM in Vista x64 - Patch KB929777 RRS feed

• Question

•  

Hi

I'm having problems with Vista Ultimate x64 and 4GB RAM. I keep getting BSODs every ten minutes or so.

I then removed one memory stick (I have 4 x 1GB) and then Windows Vista ran pretty flawless.

So I was reading about KB929777, which is a hotfix for allowing us to use 4GB, but when I try to install the patch I get an error that says "this patch does not apply to your system".

So I'm kind of stuck with 3GB.

Note : when I installed Vista , I had all 4 memory sticks pluged in, and got several BSODs in the installation process, but ultimately it went though. Does this mean I have to install Vista AGAIN, this time using just 2GB RAM, and THEN try to apply the patch? Will it work this way?

Thanks.

Monday, February 18, 2008 8:42 PM

Answers

•  

Hi Pasqua,

Thank you for the reply.

Generally, the BSOD issue a kernel mode crash issue. it occurs when a driver tried to access an address that is pageable (or that is completely invalid) while the IRQL was too high.

To troubleshoot this kind of kernel crash issue, we need to debug the crashed system dump. Unfortunately, debugging is beyond what we can do in the forum. A suggestion would be to contact Microsoft Customer Service and Support (CSS) via telephone so that a dedicated Support Professional can assist with your request. Please be advised that contacting phone support will be a charged call.

To obtain the phone numbers for specific technology request please take a look at the web site listed below:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;EN-US;OfferProPhone#faq607

I hope the problem will be resolved soon. Thank you for your time and effort.

Best regards,

Tim Quan

Microsoft Online Community Support

Friday, February 22, 2008 5:33 AM
  • Ok so the problem was solved by changing 4 x 1GB memory modules for 2 x 2GB memory modules. My memory modules were defective.

Thanks for all the help !!

Monday, February 25, 2008 10:33 PM

All replies

• Hi Pasqua,

The message "this patch does not apply to your system" can occur if KB929777 has already been installed on your computer or you are installing a incorrect version of KB929777 which is available to Windows Vista 32bit.

To check if KB929777 is installed, you can open Control Panel\Programs and Features and click View installed updates. Wait a minute and it will show all installed updates. If KB929777 is listed, it indicates KB929777 is installed.

I have listed the KB929777 download site for Windows Vista 64bit below:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=91672C7C-614B-404C-850C-377541E93C18&displaylang=en&Hash=V%2faAddaDoG7WkCI9nEVNhX3WTfcRCP9SBpPkO4DFOq%2fN%2f4LBTrN6qK4Q9Y4QU6AXv35tZucOCY2DBlM69EVORw%3d%3d

For more information about KB929777, you can refer to the following article:

Error message when you try to install Windows Vista on a computer that uses more than 3 GB of RAM: "STOP 0x0000000A"

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929777

More information: KB929777 will be included in Windows Vista Service Pack 1.

Hope it helps.

Best regards,

Tim Quan

Wednesday, February 20, 2008 4:02 AM
  •  

Hi,

I am having a similiar problem. I built my gaming system last night - (Asus mobo, qx6700extreme, 4 gig ram, 8800gtx).

When i boot off the vista dvd, i get to select my language, then click install now and i get a bluescreen, everytime, without fail. STOP: 0x000000A. I have not tried installing on 3GB of ram yet, I will try this tonight.

My question is, this stop code, does it mean there is something faulty with my hardware and how to i get around it if installing with 3GB of ram does not work?

Thanks,

Johnny

Wednesday, February 20, 2008 12:57 PM
  • Hi Tim

So ... I did a fresh Vista Ultimate x64 (with 2GB RAM) install with the network cable unplugged (just so Windows Update doesnt screw anything up) and the first thing I did was install KB929777. The hotfix installation went through, but when tried to restart the computer with all four memory sticks ... Blue screen.

The BSOD mentions "DRIVER_IRQL_LESS_OR_NOT_EQUAL", and almost always mentions ecache.sys

Here's my system

- Quadcore Q6600

- Asus P5K Premium Motherboard ( 0504 BIOS )

- 4 x 1 GB Samsung 800MHz PC640

- Samsung HD501LJ 500GB SATA
    - Zogis Nvidia GeForce 8600 GT 512MB

As of now, my system is running quite stable with just 3 sticks on, at 667MHz. When I try to put them in 800MHz, I had some BSODs in both Vista and XP installations. Also, ALL four sticks freeze MEMTEST when running at 800MHz. And ALL of them present NO errors if set to 667MHz. Still, I figure there's got to be some Windows problem since DRIVER_IRQL_LESS_OR_NOT_EQUAL looks like a driver issue, innit?

Thanks for all the help!

Thursday, February 21, 2008 8:19 PM
  •  

Hi Pasqua,

Thank you for the reply.

Generally, the BSOD issue a kernel mode crash issue. it occurs when a driver tried to access an address that is pageable (or that is completely invalid) while the IRQL was too high.

To troubleshoot this kind of kernel crash issue, we need to debug the crashed system dump. Unfortunately, debugging is beyond what we can do in the forum. A suggestion would be to contact Microsoft Customer Service and Support (CSS) via telephone so that a dedicated Support Professional can assist with your request. Please be advised that contacting phone support will be a charged call.

To obtain the phone numbers for specific technology request please take a look at the web site listed below:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;EN-US;OfferProPhone#faq607

I hope the problem will be resolved soon. Thank you for your time and effort.

Best regards,

Tim Quan

Friday, February 22, 2008 5:33 AM
  • had same problem on a new machine took back pc shop

vista 3 bit on a asus p5kr mobo and nivdia 8800 gts 512 vcard

i install with 2 x 1gig sticks apply patch then add 2 x1 sticksinstall nvidia patch also

Friday, February 22, 2008 7:29 AM
  • Ok so the problem was solved by changing 4 x 1GB memory modules for 2 x 2GB memory modules. My memory modules were defective.

Thanks for all the help !!

Monday, February 25, 2008 10:33 PM
  • Service pack 1 installed , and still have the same problem.  I even tried to install KB929777 and recieved message not applicable to mt computer....4G vista 64 bit.  Help

Saturday, May 31, 2008 9:08 PM
  • I'm getting the same thing.... luckilly I've got 2x 1gb sticks and 2x2bg sticks so I will run with 3gp for now of ddr2 800 ram.

clocking down to 667 didn't work and still getting the error that it's not the right update even though I've searched my update's and it's not installed.

I even made sure I'm running 64bit by trying to reinstall it and said it wasn't an upgrade from 64bit.

please if you could get back to me.

I can send ya my specs just don't wanna waste this 2gb stick.
    Friday, October 3, 2008 10:31 PM
  • Hey everyone,

I've been having this problem all night, and I've found a few solutions, but depending on your setup, it may be a whole bunch of other things.

For example, I had no issues with Corsair XMS2 DHX (2 x 2GB) in my old rig. However, I had multiple problems with my latest one.

First off, I cannot install Windows Vista with more than one Hard Drive installed. Most of you guys are probably saying : "So what? I'll just take it out" which is true, but once you try to install a RAID setup, you're pretty much screwed. This is exactly what happened to me.

Secondly, I wasn't able to install vista with 4GB for one simple reason. I was using 4 x 1GB sticks. Did you know that 4 sticks consome a lot more power than two sticks of the same size? If you really want to ever use 4 sticks in a same rig, you'll have to increase your memory voltage. This is why you'll find no manufacturer selling 4 sticks in one package.

Increasing the memory voltage can fix this.

You can also install using 2gbs, install a few things, then try four.

Good luck.

Patrick

Sunday, October 12, 2008 6:22 AM
  • Pasqua..
    What did you do finally to resolve this problem. I am in a similar situation like you. I have 2 RAM slots with 2 RAM modules with a total of 4 GB. I am running only now of 2 GB as I cant get into the system with 4 GB. I see BSOD for this. With 2 GB in windows, it says I am not required to use th kb929777 fix pack. So Either  2 Gb or none

Friday, August 28, 2009 4:34 PM