How can I diasble Windows 7 boot optimization RRS feed

• Question

• I use Acronis True Image 2009 and have installed it's Startup Recovery Manager. This give me a Press F11 prompt at boot time that will start the Acronis recovery process. Every 3 days this disappears and from everything I've been able to find about it, it's caused by boot optimization which Windows 7 does every 3 days.

I'd like to disable this and see if there are any negative affects. Can this be done?

I've not found anything about it via Google.
    • Moved by Carey FrischMVP Monday, October 26, 2009 6:48 PM Moved to relevant category (From:Windows 7 Miscellaneous)
    Monday, October 26, 2009 6:39 PM

All replies

• I am not sure how this issue with Acronis can be related to boot optimization, but here is how to disable boot optimization:

Start -> search for and start services.msc -> find Disk Defragmenter service -> right-click on it and select properties -> in Startup Type select Disable -> click OK to accept changes

This should disable disk defragmenter completely*, including automatic boot optimization

* Note: you will not be able to use Disk Defragmenter at all unless you re-enable Disk Defragmenter service
    Saturday, November 21, 2009 11:40 PM