none
Backing Up "Other Databases" RRS feed

• Question

• Using DPM 2010 and Sharepoint 2010.

I have configured the front-end and backed up the "farm" or at least what I thought was the farm. Only 4 of the 14 sharepoint databases have been picked up. AdminContent/Config/MySite/Portal. What about all the other ones, profile, enterprise search, metadata. I have read-and re-read the documentation on technet for sharepoint backups and as far as I can I have done everything required to protect the entire farm, am I doing something wrong here?

Cheers

Monday, October 4, 2010 9:19 AM

Answers

All replies

• Hi

DPM 2010 farm backup currently contains config, admin content and content databases. All other service applications can be backed up using inbox Sharepoint 2010 backup solution.

Regards

Guru.

Monday, October 4, 2010 2:05 PM
  • Hi Guru,

Thanks for the reply. I have a couple more questions if you dont mind.

• Is it possible to soley use DPM as the backup solution? It seems a little archaic when using MS top sharepoint product with there top backup product that I have to go and manually setup other backups?

We have a 2 tier setup at the moment, a web front end and a shared SQL cluster. The front end is backed up via DPM Hyper-V backups and the farm via DPM sharepoint application workload. 

• Can the other databases simply be backed up using the SQL application workload on DPM?
    • In a complete disaster would it be possible to simply restore the Hyper-V front end and re-create the content/config databases using a farm recovery, followed by restoring the SQL databases for 'other ' databases
    • Where is all the documentation for this hiding away. I have read the white paper and trawled technet

Cheers
    Zak

Tuesday, October 5, 2010 7:34 AM
  • I'm in the same boat. Seems inexcusable for MS to provide incomplete backup solution for SP 2010.  I upgraded to DPM 2010 specifically because I was told it would backup SP 2010.  Disappointed
    Tuesday, October 5, 2010 7:11 PM
  • Guru do you have any suggestions for us?

Zak

Wednesday, October 13, 2010 6:59 PM
  • FYI, I just updated my DPM to do a separate backup for the other databases.  Still seems weird that I have to do it that way, but I guess it works
    Saturday, October 16, 2010 2:48 PM