How to change network location from domain to public RRS feed

• Question

• Dear Team,

I have win2k8 server {ent edition_ sp2 64 bit).  how to change network type from domain to public. need your asisstance on the same. PFA snap

Regards

Mr VMware

MrVMware

Monday, November 11, 2013 11:02 AM

Answers

• Many Thanks Frank,

One of my friend suggested me to do following registry changes to chnage domain network profile to private or public network.

You can do it thru the registry:HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\NetworkList\Profiles\
    open the network profile that you have to change and modify the "Category" value:
    0 = public
    1 = private
    2 = domain

MrVMware

• Marked as answer by Frank Shen5 Sunday, November 17, 2013 3:13 PM
    Thursday, November 14, 2013 12:22 PM

All replies

• Hi,

The Domain network location type is automatically applied to our computer if it is joined to an Active Directory domain. If our computer is joined to a domain, then we cannot change the network location type.

Regarding network location types, the following article may be referred to for more information.

Network Location Types

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc725993(v=WS.10).aspx

Choosing a network location

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-in/windows-vista/choosing-a-network-location

Best regards,

Frank Shen

• Edited by Frank Shen5 Wednesday, November 13, 2013 5:39 AM
    Wednesday, November 13, 2013 5:32 AM
  • Many Thanks Frank,

One of my friend suggested me to do following registry changes to chnage domain network profile to private or public network.

You can do it thru the registry:HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\NetworkList\Profiles\
    open the network profile that you have to change and modify the "Category" value:
    0 = public
    1 = private
    2 = domain

MrVMware

• Marked as answer by Frank Shen5 Sunday, November 17, 2013 3:13 PM
    Thursday, November 14, 2013 12:22 PM
  • Frank. I'm sorry but your answer is not true.

Symptom- install Windows 7 on a fresh PC. Enter network settings (static IP & DNS). Join a Server 2012 domain. Reboot several times until group policies are all applied. Check Network Sharing center, see 'Local Area connection' listed as "Unidentified network, Public Network".

Wednesday, May 20, 2015 3:14 PM