Windows Server 2008 Task Scheduler Error While Add/Disable a Task RRS feed

• Question

• When I try disable a existing task or add a new task, the following error appears.

Transaction support within the specified file system resource manager is not started or was shutdown due to an error. <task-name>

Then I read the MS Support, they recommends run the fsutil like this:

fsutil resource setautoreset true c:\

But when I try run this command I get the following error message:

Error: The file or directory is corrupted and unreadable.

Finally when I try to check disk (chkdsk command), the system says:

1304 large file records processed. File record segment 119470 is an orphan. Errors found. CHKDSK cannot continue in read-only mode.

I couldn't disable the task, briefly. How can I fix this task scheduler (or what else) error?

Monday, October 15, 2018 10:28 AM

Answers

• Could be task corruption. Might try export all tasks to XML, delete them all from GUI, delete all files in C:\Windows\Tasks, reboot, try to add a new task manually, if all is good, then import tasks one at a time and check results.

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows Server] Datacenter Management

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

Monday, October 15, 2018 1:42 PM

All replies

• Errors found. CHKDSK cannot continue in read-only mode. 

Might run;

chkdsk /f

then it should prompt to run at next startup.

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

Monday, October 15, 2018 12:56 PM
  • I tried but it didn't fix the main problem (task scheduler). I think we will create an SR to MS for this problem. I'll update this topic.
    • Edited by Gefolge Monday, October 15, 2018 1:22 PM
    Monday, October 15, 2018 1:21 PM
  • Could be task corruption. Might try export all tasks to XML, delete them all from GUI, delete all files in C:\Windows\Tasks, reboot, try to add a new task manually, if all is good, then import tasks one at a time and check results.

Monday, October 15, 2018 1:42 PM
  • Thanks, but we remove the disk the vm and plugged that to another vm and chkdsk utility was successful. There is no problem for now.
    Wednesday, October 17, 2018 5:33 AM
  • Glad to hear its sorted.

Wednesday, October 17, 2018 12:44 PM