none
Add-PhysicalDisk Error more informations

Question

• Hello,

I am trying to add a new hdd to a existing storagepool, with has 5 hdd. I am getting the following error

Add-PhysicalDisk : One or more physical disks are not supported by this operation.

Extended information:
    One or more physical disks encountered an error during addition to the storage pool.

Physical Disks:
    {18c4b219-b782-202a-26a3-9973b34d9f1b}: The request is not supported.

Activity ID: {89d903a2-b35a-440c-ac95-8c40554e289c}
    At line:1 char:1
    + Add-PhysicalDisk -StoragePoolFriendlyName "Pool01" -PhysicalDisks (Ge ...
    + ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        + CategoryInfo          : NotSpecified: (StorageWMI:ROOT/Microsoft/..._StorageCmdlets) [Add-PhysicalDisk], CimException
        + FullyQualifiedErrorId : StorageWMI 51000,Add-PhysicalDisk

I want to known how I can find more about the causes of the error.

Thanks

Nick

Thursday, July 12, 2018 9:51 PM

Answers

• Hi,

If you have the updates, please feel free to contact us.

If it still shows no clue, I suggest you could open a ticket from Microsoft for dedicated support.

Thanks for your support and understanding.

Best Regards,

Mary

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by Nick Foteas Sunday, July 22, 2018 12:37 PM
    Wednesday, July 18, 2018 6:55 AM

All replies

• Hi Nick,

May I ask what's the OS for your server?

Is the existing storage pool in a health status?

Please run get-storagepool to do a check.

Is this new hdd different from others?

In general, we can use commodity drives attached via Serial-Attached SCSI (SAS), Serial ATA (SATA), or USB. Storage layers that abstract the physical disks are not compatible with Storage Spaces. This includes VHDs and pass-through disks in a virtual machine, and storage subsystems that layer a RAID implementation on top of the physical disks. iSCSI and Fibre Channel controllers are not supported by Storage Spaces.

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/lync/en-US/ab3a6592-6c79-4097-9c1c-c348b4416200/spaces-could-not-create-storage-pool-one-of-the-physical-disks-specified-is-not-supported-by-this?forum=winserverfiles

In addition, please also check the thread discussed about such error.

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/lync/en-US/aaba403d-f363-41b5-84b6-2ec162a0b370/error-when-creating-new-storage-pool-one-of-the-physical-disks-specified-is-not-supported-by-this?forum=winserverfiles

Best Regards,

Mary

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, July 13, 2018 2:14 AM
  • Hello,

The OS is Windows Server 2016.

The existing storagepool as you can see is OK

PS C:\Users\Administrator> get-storagepool

FriendlyName OperationalStatus HealthStatus IsPrimordial IsReadOnly
    ------------         -----------------         ------------      ------------     ----------
    pool01                   OK                    Healthy          False           False     
    Primordial               OK                   Healthy          True            False    

The disk is a new  WD  Red 3T as the others (4 are WD Red and 1 ST). It is attach via external USB3.

I had remove one of the old (the ST)  by I got the same error. I was able to re-connect the HDD.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Friday, July 13, 2018 6:25 PM
  • Hi,

For now, I haven't find the new explanation from Microsoft about this error message.

I suggest you could change to the same type/model of the drive to do a check.

Best Regards,

Mary

Monday, July 16, 2018 1:57 AM
  • Hi,

If you have the updates, please feel free to contact us.

If it still shows no clue, I suggest you could open a ticket from Microsoft for dedicated support.

Thanks for your support and understanding.

Best Regards,

Mary

• Marked as answer by Nick Foteas Sunday, July 22, 2018 12:37 PM
    Wednesday, July 18, 2018 6:55 AM
  • Hello,

I have manage to solve the problem.

I replace the external USB case and I manage to add the HDD. Are there any specification about them?

I think that Microsoft could give a more helpful error message, something to begin with.

Thank you for you time.

Nick

Sunday, July 22, 2018 12:37 PM
  • Hi Nick,

You mean you replace the disk and solve the problem?

If the disk is in the storage pool, you need to add the replace disk first, then mark the disk as retired you want to remove, after that you could  remove it.

Best Regards,

Mary

Monday, July 23, 2018 7:57 AM
  • Hi

I just bumped into the same problem error 51000 trying to create a pool adding 2 x 8 TB external USB3 drives for part of a local backup solution (video).  Happens to the 2nd disk

So because this is just a few days old - may be a problem has been introduced into Storage Spaces regarding this … because a at the very end of this writing: (because the identification works in legacy windows DM - so must be a software problem with Storage Spaces?). 

When cleaned (prerequisite for becoming available to storage spaces as primordial) both disks show up in disk manager (legacy Windows).

However, only one of the tow disks show up in Server Manager > Storage Pools. And only if you rescan storage (refresh does not present it as usual - and legacy Windows has no problem working with the disks - i.e. presention, partitioning … everything). If you create a pool with that one disk - and rescan storage, the second disk is there now (presenting itself with the same product name … as usual if you have to similar disks, ie same model) … but when you try to add that to the pool already created with the first disks - if addphysicaldisk throws error 51000

So, comparing … there seem to be a no problem status in this case for working in Disk Manager (legacy Windows) with the 2 disks seen differently by the operating system. Mean while Storage Spaces have a problem identifying the disks properly like Disk Manager - and messes up something with the id's (which obviously works well in diskpart, dm etc)? 

Because in DM the 2 disks are listed as 2 different objects, while in Storage Spaces the 2 disks sort of overlap, where the presentation (and system/logic!?) of disk #1 seems to hide disk #2 until the pool is created - and the disk #2 is there … but fails with error 51000 when added (normally both disk should show - and you could just create a mirror pooled without the complication of somwthing in storage spaces OBIOUSLY not working (because the identification works in legacy windows DM - so must be a software problem). 

Tuesday, July 24, 2018 5:30 AM