SCSM 2012 Email Templates - Insert Computer Serial Number RRS feed

• Question

• When creating email templates, and trying to insert the serial number of the affected CI, I cannot get the correct variable.
    The email subscription/template are both based of incidents so that I can have the notification be sent when a job is logged regarding a specific computer.
    Based on the fact that the incident now has the relationship of "About Configuration Item" (I checked the history to make sure I had the correct relationship), I can now insert the principal name, DNS server etc. into the email template by using the "About Configuration Item" drop down menu inside the insert variable section of the template under "Windows Computer"

For some reason, the serial number for the machine is not located in the "Windows Computer", but in "Computer (deployed)".
    Since there is no direct connection between the Incident and the "Computer (Deployed)", I cannot insert that variable.
    There is however, a relationship between the "Windows Computer" and the "Computer (Deployed)", so in my incident template I need to add the variable of;

Incident > Relationship to Windows Computer > Relationship to Computer (Deployed) > Property - Serial Number.

It is easy to insert variables based on a single relationship, Is it possible to insert variables based on two concurrent relationships?

I also understand that one solution to this is to add "Computer (Deployed)" as an affected CI in the incident, but I would prefer not to have to do that for each one as it requires an extra minute on the logging of each job as well as it getting slightly messier.

I have played around with the Authoring tools, and see that the Serial Number field is located right beside the DNS servers and principal name, both of which I can add easily into my email template. And as far as I was aware, these form fields can only link to variables from one management pack per form. It seems like the serial number should definitely be accessible from the "Windows Computer" CI.

Wednesday, July 31, 2013 11:59 PM

All replies

• alternatively, this can be done using a runbook like:

• get-object (1): class - incident
    • get-relationship: object class -incident / related class- computer(deployed)
    • get-object (2): class - computer(deployed) /filter: SC object guid << click on the link between "get-relationship" and "get-object (2)" under Include  tab, add "relationship-class" equals "About COnifguration Item"
    • email: get-object (2) > Serial Number
    Thursday, August 1, 2013 2:25 AM
  • Thanks for your reply, unfortunately I don't have Orchestrator at the moment, so I don't believe I can use runbooks.

But going by what you said, I still don't think I could do that as there is no direct connection between the "incident" and the "Computer (Deployed)".
    The only relationships which exist are, The "Incident" is related to the "Windows Computer" and the "Windows Computer" is related to the "Computer (Deployed).

Thursday, August 1, 2013 2:46 AM
  • You are right, the "Windows Computer" must be in between "Incident" and "Computer (Deployed)".

I've just created/tested it, the RB must be:

• Proposed as answer by Ayman Yassine Thursday, August 15, 2013 1:28 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by Sullivan, Rob Monday, September 2, 2013 10:34 PM
    Thursday, August 1, 2013 3:13 AM
  • Is it possible without using Runbooks?

Simply using variables in an email template instead?

Thursday, August 1, 2013 3:35 AM
  • the Email "Serial Number" activity contains a variable from the previous activity Computer (Deployed) - Get Obejct however this variable is an Orchestrator related.

I cannot think of a way of doing that (bypass orchestrator) other than SMLets to jump between the SCSM relationship classes!

Thursday, August 1, 2013 3:55 AM
  • Thankyou for trying anyway. I may have to get orchestrator up and running, but I would prefer to not have to.
    Thursday, August 1, 2013 4:57 AM