none
Drive Map over GPP randomly fail and terminates with Event ID 4089, "The network path was not found"

Question

• Hello everyone

We've got around one and a half month some feedback from our users that their home drive won't get connected at the user login. On the time the drive won't connect we see the following Event-ID entry:

Source:  Group Policy Drive Maps
    Event ID: 4089
    Message: The user 'H:' preference item in the 'User-Policy {GUID}' Group Policy object did not apply because it failed with error code '0x80070035 The network path was not found.' This error was suppressed.

The message appear on different client (Windows 7 x86, x64 or Windows 10 x64) even on our Citrix 2008 R2 Servers. Other drives on the same NetApp filer works without any problems. The other drives got connected to another DNS Alias but in the background it's the same filer.

The home drive is in GPP as the first in the order list who got mapped during user logon on Client and Citrix-Server.

I found the following post with the identical problem but without any fix or solution:
    http://community.spiceworks.com/topic/228644-gpp-drive-maps-randomly-fail-with-event-id-4098

Our Users doing now a manually connection to the home drive if the GPP is not connecting it on Login, but I can't be the workaround for the future. We need our drives mapped during the logon process.

Anyone can help me or can give me some hints, how we can get this working?

• Edited by NeophyteCH Tuesday, June 30, 2015 9:51 AM
    Tuesday, June 30, 2015 9:49 AM

Answers

• Hi,

May I know if you configure the Reconnect: Yes?

Using RECONNECT:  YES is the same when using "net use" and the "/persistent:yes" switch:
    The conection will be stored in the user's profile (HKCU\Network) and reapplied at next login.
    Which means the OS is mapping the drive already. That might lead to the GPP event log error.
    So, it does not make sense to use RECONNECT:  YES
    Usually your GPP is applied during every login so if the mapping is not there, GPP will do the job again.

Please try without the RECONNECT option.

Best Regards,

Elaine

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, July 08, 2015 10:00 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Thanks for the post. Would you please let me know how you configure the share path on the GPP setting?

Sometimes, if you put a "\" in the end like: \\servername.contoso.com\sharename\  this could caused a event 4098 and error code '0x80070035 The network path was not found. After removed the "\", the error gone.

So, please have a check if it works for you.

Best Regards,

Elaine

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, July 02, 2015 9:16 AM
  • Hi

Thanks for your reply. I write the answer on behalf of my colleagues. The path definition is "\\%HomeServer%\%USERNAME%$" without an "\" at the end. The Eventlog Error is 4089 but not 4098.

Kind regards Stefan Somogyi

Friday, July 03, 2015 10:19 AM
  • Hi,

May I know if you configure the Reconnect: Yes?

Using RECONNECT:  YES is the same when using "net use" and the "/persistent:yes" switch:
    The conection will be stored in the user's profile (HKCU\Network) and reapplied at next login.
    Which means the OS is mapping the drive already. That might lead to the GPP event log error.
    So, it does not make sense to use RECONNECT:  YES
    Usually your GPP is applied during every login so if the mapping is not there, GPP will do the job again.

Please try without the RECONNECT option.

Best Regards,

Elaine

Wednesday, July 08, 2015 10:00 AM